GateHouse Media - Challenged | Glassdoor

"Challenged"

Pros

Great people to work with. Offers an opportunity to gain some good experience in the selling of digital products.

Cons

Fiscally unstable. Seems we are always selling to the needs of the paper and not the client...way too many special sales drives.

Advice to Management

Dont shackle your sales team with endless reports. Allowing us the time needed to get out in the field and sell will increase revenue.

Other Employee Reviews for GateHouse Media

"Too bad I can't click on "zero" stars."

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I agree with other reviews here: There's not much to like about working for this company. I used to enjoy the people I worked with, but they have all moved on and moved out. One astonishing thing about those who left; two co-workers with a combined 50 years of experience in journalism not only left Gatehouse, but were so disgruntled by their experience with the company, they left journalism completely.

Cons

It appears upper management is controlled by accounting majors. Journalism majors are nowhere to be found at the upper levels. The corporate line about community journalism is laughable, One post here hit the nail on the head: Corporate seems to believe news copy is nothing more than filler between ads. Rather than filling those holes with local content, they are filled with AP and Gatehouse stories that are a day old by the time readers receive their papers. I have seen quality local stories bumped off the front page for replacement by Gatehouse mandated stories that have little relevance to the local community and are outdated. The same stories can be found for free online all day long. Then they raise the per-issue price and blame the local staff for the ad sales and counter sales dropping.

Advice to Management

All of you getting on a bus and promptly going over a cliff would be a good start,

"Enjoyable work, terrible management"

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of good people at lower levels. Community journalism is a rewarding business Not much else positive to say about this company.

Cons

Management does not listen to employees and does not trust them to know how to do their work. Pay is incredibly low. Company often attempts to to shortchange employees. Micromanagement. No pay increases year after year.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring consultants to tell college graduates how to do their jobs. Stop giving bonuses to senior management while continuing to withhold cost of living increases. Let people do their jobs with less interference.