GateHouse Media - Run from GateHouse as fast as you can. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media

"Run from GateHouse as fast as you can."

Current Employee - Editor in Peoria, IL
Current Employee - Editor in Peoria, IL

Pros

There just are not many media options out there. They own a lot of papers and if you want to be a journalist, you might have to settle for this company.

Cons

Bad management! Ever since they went public nothing works smoothly. We cannot get new equipment. We only get 30-something cents per mile reimbursement. Our computers are almost 10 years old and are always breaking down. Some people have gone five years with no raise. They keep cutting staff and increasing the work load. It's ok for the boss to scream, throw things, and break things in my office, so everybody works in more or less constant fear. Some salaried people are expected to work 60 hours per week and yet are paid so poorly that they cannot support themselves. Everybody lives with their parents or has a better-employed spouse. Some people here depend on charity or public aid for some of their needs -- and these are experienced, degreed, award-winning professionals.

Advice to Management

Please pay us better money than we would make at a fast food restaurant. Please see that we are treated in a basically civil manner. Please give us equipment that works. Please stop buying new newspapers and take care of the ones you already have. We just want to do our jobs and do good work. Please stop hampering us in our quest.

Other Employee Reviews for GateHouse Media

1. "circulation department"

I worked at GateHouse Media part-time

Pros

Long term local employees and staff are great people.

Cons

Slave wages
    Increasingly greedy corporate environment
    More work expected for no additional pay
    micromanagement of smallest details while little to no attention given to the big picture
    somewhat misogynistic environment
    really poor treatment of people who've given their lives to the local paper

Advice to Management

I don't know who management is anymore. Kirk Davis is a pirate. Find someone with more talent an less greed to run your corporation.

"Hardworking, dedicated professionals but corporate management out of touch"

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with people who care about their communities, are dedicated to the craft of journalism

Cons

Poor pay, high health insurance costs, lack of 401K match (while I was there). Lack of resources, equipment (up-to-date computers, photography, video equipment).

Advice to Management

Make better business decisions and provide employees with even modest cost of living pay increases and the proper equipment to do the job.