GateHouse Media - Run from GateHouse as fast as you can. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GateHouse Media

"Run from GateHouse as fast as you can."

Current Employee - Editor in Peoria, IL
Current Employee - Editor in Peoria, IL

Pros

There just are not many media options out there. They own a lot of papers and if you want to be a journalist, you might have to settle for this company.

Cons

Bad management! Ever since they went public nothing works smoothly. We cannot get new equipment. We only get 30-something cents per mile reimbursement. Our computers are almost 10 years old and are always breaking down. Some people have gone five years with no raise. They keep cutting staff and increasing the work load. It's ok for the boss to scream, throw things, and break things in my office, so everybody works in more or less constant fear. Some salaried people are expected to work 60 hours per week and yet are paid so poorly that they cannot support themselves. Everybody lives with their parents or has a better-employed spouse. Some people here depend on charity or public aid for some of their needs -- and these are experienced, degreed, award-winning professionals.

Advice to Management

Please pay us better money than we would make at a fast food restaurant. Please see that we are treated in a basically civil manner. Please give us equipment that works. Please stop buying new newspapers and take care of the ones you already have. We just want to do our jobs and do good work. Please stop hampering us in our quest.

Other Employee Reviews for GateHouse Media

1. "Be ready to make a hire"

I worked at GateHouse Media full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, great group of people to work with, fun

Cons

The pay is absolutely lousy

Advice to Management

Be ready to make a hire. Don't do it until you are.

"Revenue Company NOT a Newspaper Company"

I have been working at GateHouse Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are NONE. I make decent money, have benefits (highly priced) and have a good amount of paid time off but I have EARNED every bit of it and should be doing a lot better given what I have put INTO this company. Honestly this is the ONLY reason I am still here.

Cons

This place is the biggest con and rip off I have EVER worked for. Since owned by Gateouse Media we are no longer a newspaper company. We are a revenue generating company. This billion dollar corporation is fleecing their customers to the point of being criminal. Predatory demographic pricing structure, no credit for papers while on vacation. "Premium" editions that they charge 2-3 dollars extra for. All kinds of unethical business practices to massively increase revenue yet NO ONE has seen a raise in the several years that we have been owned by GH. Staff is so lean that there is absolutely NO quality control. One person does the job that 3 used to do. Anytime someone leaves the company they dont replace them, they just dump the work on those that are still here. ALL WITH NO COMPENSATION for the extra responsibility. This company is contributing exponentially to the demise of the newspaper industry as a whole. I am ashamed to even work for this unethical company that I have been with for almost a decade.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right. Give us a raise! ITS BEEN YEARS!!!! All while CEO's are crying poor mouth but taking HUGE HUGE bonuses!!