Gawker Media - Great place to make a name for yourself | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gawker Media

"Great place to make a name for yourself"

Former Employee - Blogger
Former Employee - Blogger

Pros

All Gawker's sites have notoriety and huge reader base. It's a great place for an aspiring writer to make a name for themselves, but don't expect a huge salary or great benefits -- or good hours. However, you can easily make the jump from Gawker to another, more employee friendly company, plus some people thrive on the huge workload.

Cons

LONG hours, huge expectations, very sink or swim attitude. Either you can hack it or you can't, there is no middle ground. Benefits suck.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your people and listen to them when they're unhappy! Also, large changes at the company can be quite sudden and unpredictable.

Other Employee Reviews for Gawker Media

"Fantastic"

I have been working at Gawker Media full-time

Pros

Great people, good benefits, solid perks for all editorial staff as a result of our union. Sites are run autonomously, which is fantastic if you want to build a career as a reporter.

Cons

Still some fallout and uncertainty from the buyout. Lawsuits are scary. The media industry is always unstable, so who knows what the company will look like in a year or two?

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep staying positive, try to settle as many lawsuits as possible. Spend more time looking towards the future and less time chasing trends that our competitors are better at.

2. "Editorial intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Gawker Media as an intern

Pros

Interning with GMG was like being thrown into the deep end of the fast-paced world of online journalism. I worked with writers and editors who I had long admired, and after a few months I was encouraged to pitch and write my own articles. GMG believes that writers shouldn't be muzzled, and it was exhilarating to have their network of sites as a platform for my voice and opinions.

Cons

Sometimes the editorial pipeline felt haphazard, perhaps a byproduct of the rapid pace of publication. If you don't live in NYC, your work interactions are largely limited to Slack, which can make it difficult to resolve disagreements at times. Don't expect much mentorship as an intern - you've got to learn to swim on your own, and fast.