Geek Squad - A fun place to work | Glassdoor

"A fun place to work"

Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent
Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent

I worked at Geek Squad part-time

Pros

Great culture. Management doesn't micromanage, but is technically proficient enough to help out when needed. All the tools to do the job are provided. Good learning opportunities if you are new to the field.

Cons

Amount of hours available for work is based on sales. Sometimes the tools we are required to use aren't the best. Best Buy usually backs their employees up, but sometimes when a manager makes an exception for a client, you look foolish in front of them.

Advice to Management

Create incentives to get these techs certified! It helps them and brings value to the services provided.

Other Employee Reviews for Geek Squad

"Sales Experience Gained, Personal Drive almost lost forever!!"

Former Employee - Geek Squad Deputy of Counter Intelligence
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Deputy of Counter Intelligence

I worked at Geek Squad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company used to be an exciting fun environment but has changed with the times. The people and discount are the remaining pros.

Cons

Taking advantage of talent, on a very large scale. I was loyal for four years and feel that my talent was well wasted. Upon graduating college, with a Management Degree, I moved into a seasonal position and soon became full time. Your degree does not factor in at all with this company. Took me almost a year to become a supervisor due to people in position that should have never been there. People with degrees and potential talent will just spin there wheels and get overlooked for someone that has been in the same position for 5-6 yrs and due to seniority they will get promoted over better talent. Politics to the max, if you are a talented, driven and passionate individual find a company that invests into its people because BEST BUY DOES NOT.

Advice to Management

For community stores - take it easy on the micromanaging. Especially for a Geek Squad Supervisor that controls and does more then the managers who get paid salary. (No sense at all)

For core stores - DO NOT repost job opportunities and insult talent that is aspiring to move up just because you have concern that they are coming from a community store! (Store 315) Look at the talent of the individual and the operating model of a community store now. NEWS FLASH - A community store is the way of the company, if they withstand online competition and the economy. In a community store everyone is required to wear more hats and be more proficient in sales and product knowledge

2. "Counter Ops"

I have been working at Geek Squad part-time

Pros

Learned a lot form the many problems people had with their computers

Cons

High turn over rate and change in SOP frequently