Genentech - Great opportunities in fast pace environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"Great opportunities in fast pace environment"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Patient focus
Willingness to take risks and innovate in process and technology, not just science
High caliber colleagues
Strong encouragement and opportunities for personal growth, including publishing and presenting

Cons

Complex work environment:
- Change is the norm
- Many many projects in parallel at the same time
Sometimes it could be too west-coast nice vs. east-coast direct

Advice to Management

Do not loose focus on the patients and science
Continue supporting employee development
Continue and even improve challenging employees to own success of proposals, projects, ...

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Management's a Joke since Roche took over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

People are still great, and you're doing important work for patients. Compensation and benefits are competitive-or-better. Nice campus, pleasant place to work.

Cons

Roche management are idiots. The integration virtually destroyed countless departments at this company. Roche was (and is) more interested in protecting their own and showing GNE exactly who's boss than they are in doing the right thing. I saw our department waste 10s of millions of dollars putting in a new database system because the Roche system sucked and they refused to adopt the Genentech system, because it was Genentech (and by definition anything Genentech is bad). I can count two dozen people just from my department who either left or were forced out by idiot management, and all of them were better than the Roche people who replaced them. There's a reason this company has plummeted in the rankings of "best place to work" from #1 a few years ago to about #50, and that free-fall is not going to stop any time soon. Watching this place now is like watching a loved one slowly die. It's agonizing, and I'm glad I moved on before Roche finishes throwing dirt on the body.

Advice to Management

Remember that, before you took over, Genentech was a world-class company with a more robust pipeline than anyone else in the industry (including Roche). Stop trying to force your outdated, bloated policies (that were choking your company into oblivion in the first place) and idiot upper management stooges down our throats and try to collaborate with the people here. You might learn something, and the company will be better off.

"I liked working at Genentech"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The company always said we would go where the science leads us and we do what was right for our patients. We didn't worry about next quarter's profits or the stock price.

Great benefits, great co-workers (I've never worked at company with so many smart people) and good pipe line of new products

Cons

The manufacturing group is too bureaucratic and making a simple improvement is too difficult. Following cGMP change control was only a small part of the bureaucracy that you needed to work through to make a simple improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep following the science and do what is right for our patients.