Genentech - A great place to work and contribute to the advancement of medicine. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"A great place to work and contribute to the advancement of medicine."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The focus of work on improving the lives of patients. I understand exactly how my work contributes toward this goal.

Cons

As the company has grown, it has developed some really inefficient processes. People are at least cognizent of this, however, and always open to change and improvement.

Advice to Management

Focus on how to improve the business,not always on how to improve the processes. Make process lean and non-limiting.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

1. "ART LEVINSON is GENENTECH"

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

ART LEVINSON!! Don't under estimate the employee trust in him. It's the best company in the US. The culture is laid back, real, and we have a great time working and playing. This is one of the most fulfilling jobs I have had. When I came to pharma sells I wasn't sure if it was the place for me. I realized that GNE has amazing products and pipeline. I never get board. There is always something or someone to learn from. We make differences in patients live. I have worked in the past managing oncology patient treatments. Genentech is invested in providing drugs to anyone and everyone that may benefit from their products.

Cons

Although it is a new company- there are some folks that have been here over 10 years that are catered to. Doesn't always make sense.

Advice to Management

Share with me why some are picked for promotion and others not. How do you justify these choices?

2. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Engineer I in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Genentech is an excellent place to start your career. They provide great Health Benefits and exposure to highly intelligent colleagues! There are many opportunities for professional and career development including networking within a diverse and inclusive employee base. Managers are very concerned about their employees and provide support for making lateral moves. Employees are encouraged to maintain worklife balance. Many amenities are available on campus such as an onsite gym, subsidized cafetarias, shuttles & carpooling opportunities. I have found it easy to access top leadership with any concerns. And there is an excellent tuition reimbursement program which is utilized by many employees.

Cons

The company is growing at a very fast pace and sometimes it is hard to keep up with everything that is going on. Also the impending Roche takeover might spell the end of the Genentech culture.The Genentech culture is very important towards sustaining the creativity and productivity of the employees. It is hard to determine whether Roche will be able to provide a similar environment specially in the current economy.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should try to provide more leadership opportunities to individual contributors.