Genentech - Great company | Glassdoor

"Great company"

Current Intern - Co-Op in South San Francisco, CA
Current Intern - Co-Op in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an intellectual, stimulating environment to work in. The common goal of bringing forth new drugs and therapies for the benefit of the patient comes across very clear in this community.

Cons

As an intern in R&D, I feel like a slave doing every task that is handed me. I don't feel like I have creative freedom in my experiments. However, this might just be the case with my particular supervisor.

Advice to Management

Ensure that intern supervisors have a shared understanding of their purpose in the intern/co-op program. While productivity is and should be the overall goal, I think there should be more of a focus on the development of the individual person as well. If a supervisor isn't willing to make this a goal, then they shouldn't agree to have an intern.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Assistant Systems Specialist"

Current Employee - Assistant Systems Specialist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Systems Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great chance to learn the IT organization. Co-workers are wonderful. Everyone for the most part has a "can-do" attitude and is willing to make sacrifices for the team when needed. The company, if hired as a regular, has amazing perks and benefits.

You do get a strong feeling of a "greater cause" while working there.

Cons

Terrible management. My direct manager was wonderful, everyone else up through the EC level is disconnected, disorganized and speak in corporate platitudes that share nothing about the future of the company or its direction for fear of what would surely be guaranteed mutiny.

There is also little opportunity to move up within IT. They would rather hire a foreign contractor for a cheaper salary than promote within. Training opportunities and chances to actually learn something new is incredibly rare, and mostly only for the favorites of the department.

The org structure is also so complicated that it's impossible to know who does what and who is in charge of which process/system or software.

Filling positions often takes 3 months minimum. You will interview no less than 7-9 times. And they have a very 'cog-in-the-wheel' way of managing an organization.

Also, the company as a whole is quickly becoming a soulless ghost of what Genentech used to be in the late 90s-early 2000s.

Advice to Management

None. They would not care anyway.

2. "Great Company, Great Management, Great Pay"

Former Contractor - Finance Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Finance Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Transportation for east bay employees--free buses, I had 3 contracts for 2 managers and they were some of my favorite managers to date. They were not afraid to spend a little extra for the right people.

Cons

Didn't experience too many bad things.

Advice to Management

Keep the Genentech culture.