Genentech - Great ride while it lasted, now Roche will define the new culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"Great ride while it lasted, now Roche will define the new culture"

Current Employee - Senior Director in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Director in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good products that actually help patients, many very smart people, excellent benefits, a lot of room to take initiative and recommend flexibility, many interesting projects. The sale and marketing arm and sales force is very well treated, rewarded and compensated. They're a bunch of especially happy campers.

Cons

Self-involved, siloed CXO level mgt, really bad IT, poor communication across lines of business. Another strange pattern observed year after year was how each business unit set incredibly detailed hierarchies of yearly goals and objectives from departments,to groups, to teams, to individuals etc., that were not integrated horizontally across the company at all. Dependencies that one department has on another were not managed, rewarded or highlighted. All top down and traditionally siloed. Budgets are allocated the same way, all top down. Therefore incentives are designed to optimize just your local team's results, rather to to maximize cross company initiatives.

Advice to Management

Art is very good, but most of his direct reports appear to follow the rest and vest mgt model - i.e. don't rock the boat. Should deeply rethink why they didn't successfully fend off the Roche takeover

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Proud to be a Genentech's employee"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Genentech is for sure one of the best companies to work for. They offers very competitive compensation package and generous benefits. I like the company's mission of meeting unmet medical needs. It really makes me proud to be part of the team and work in a company who truely cares for the patients and the employee. The working hours are flexible. Important to mention here is that I work at the IT department. For me, as long as I get my work done, the working hours are not that straight. The working environment is fun and most of the people are great to work with. There are many various company, departments or group events throughout the year that promote fun working environment.

Cons

Genentech promotes and maintains a free culture that can hinder efficiency.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Genentech really is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The company is very patient oriented which makes the work feel very meaningful. Genentech has consistently shown it is very interested in developing employees through excellent training, opportunities for growth and new experiences, and ability to take outside courses. There is a strong push toward manager effectiveness which translates to better relations in the office and more support for employees. I find that hard work is rewarded and rewarded well. This has not been my experience in other companies.

Cons

The company is somewhat insular, i.e. many employees have never worked at any other pharma/biotechs and have limited view of other ways of doing things. I wish that there was some more varied expertise although it is definitely getting better which more experienced people joining the company.

Advice to Management

The senior management needs to continue to reward hard work because I see how motivated it makes people.