Genentech - Proud to be a Genentech's employee | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"Proud to be a Genentech's employee"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Genentech is for sure one of the best companies to work for. They offers very competitive compensation package and generous benefits. I like the company's mission of meeting unmet medical needs. It really makes me proud to be part of the team and work in a company who truely cares for the patients and the employee. The working hours are flexible. Important to mention here is that I work at the IT department. For me, as long as I get my work done, the working hours are not that straight. The working environment is fun and most of the people are great to work with. There are many various company, departments or group events throughout the year that promote fun working environment.

Cons

Genentech promotes and maintains a free culture that can hinder efficiency.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Genentech really is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The company is very patient oriented which makes the work feel very meaningful. Genentech has consistently shown it is very interested in developing employees through excellent training, opportunities for growth and new experiences, and ability to take outside courses. There is a strong push toward manager effectiveness which translates to better relations in the office and more support for employees. I find that hard work is rewarded and rewarded well. This has not been my experience in other companies.

Cons

The company is somewhat insular, i.e. many employees have never worked at any other pharma/biotechs and have limited view of other ways of doing things. I wish that there was some more varied expertise although it is definitely getting better which more experienced people joining the company.

Advice to Management

The senior management needs to continue to reward hard work because I see how motivated it makes people.

"Quirky culture, a biotech company with a true silicon valley feel."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Quirky culture, great sense of community and mission, generally fun and intelligent co-workers, lovely ocean views from many of the windows! It is very easy to switch functions within the company, and both research and business personnel are top-notch. People take great pride in their work, and managers understand work-life balance--Genentech is notoriously mom-friendly.

Cons

There is some sense of disconnect between the goals of business units and research department--some brand teams have very poor scientific understanding of the products that they are working with, while certain researchers are only vaguely aware of marketing as a function at Genentech. Compensation is not competitive with some of the other biotechs, but this is generally made up for in generous benefits. The company's growth and expansion has led to the erosion of former "small company" and entrepreneurial feel, and the instability of the upcoming Roche takeover makes everyone uneasy. As a new hire, it can be unclear of what the promotion schedule is like, and some departments are very hierarchical.

Advice to Management

Work hard to cling onto the Genentech culture in the Roche days ahead.