Genentech - Giving back is engrained in the culture of Genentech | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be an issue sometimes" (in 106 reviews)

• "Hard to convert from intern to full-time position" (in 87 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Giving back is engrained in the culture of Genentech"

Current Employee - Principal Business Operations Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Saving lives with great medicines, opportunities to learn, Culture, People, Giving back, Work Life Balance, Autonomy

Cons

Risk averse, Big company issues, Slow decision making

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for employees to grow, rotate, change jobs to keep the mind fresh

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Politics and Roche Poisoning the Well"

Former Contractor - Intern in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Intern in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

People are helpful and encouraging, perks are pretty good, and the work is meaningful. The pay is obviously fantastic, IF you can get FTE.

Continues to be held in high regard by outsiders, though some outsiders have gradually become aware that Genentech isn’t the same as it was pre-Roche.

Cons

Environment was far more political than i realized at first. I thought everyone was nice but realized after a while that many folks have an agenda. Genuine connections were hard to come by. Another reviewer called it Game of Thrones. If I were to be anyone in that analogy, I’d probably be Robb Stark - competent but naive and ultimately met with a gruesome end. I had no idea all this politicking was going on, but in hindsight people definitely talked about being “in a fishbowl.” Not the kind of place to be if you dislike feeling like you’re being watched all the time.

Roche is doing serious damage to the culture. Roche is your traditional cost cutting bureaucracy and has killed Genentech’s culture with death by a thousand paper cuts. Roche is trying REALLY hard to hide the fact that they are the driving force behind layoffs and cutbacks of perks and benefits. Don’t expect it to get better, Roche isn’t going to suddenly decide that they want to make LESS money. All the high salaries and benefits are slowly being siphoned up to Roche management. Good for them.

Advice to Management

Roche management knows exactly what they’re doing, and I would like to tell them that their short term financial gains are not going to be worth the loss of long term viability of Genentech if they keep cutting things back. The economy is in a great place yet Genentech is struggling? Hmm... people are going to catch onto that eventually.

Genentech management.. well.. I don’t have much advice, because playing the political game is probably how you got where you are. And you can’t get out from under Roche. So I guess guerrilla tactics are probably your only resort. Please use your political prowess to protect the competent people, not just the ones who play the game the best. Give your employees some freedom to be different instead of forcing them to assimilate.

"Big Changes Continues"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great culture, great work, Work life balance good. Pay good

Cons

Management started to not be so transparent.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to speak up and tell your peers and direct reports where things are really at. This is how people help people.

Discover more reviews about Genentech.