Genentech - Intelligent, friendly, close-knit group | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"Intelligent, friendly, close-knit group"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in South San Francisco, CA
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I met was friendly, helpful, and very intelligent without fail. They are passionate about their work and go above and beyond the call of duty. An excellent place to work.

Cons

Like any large company, Genentech has its fair share of bureaucracy and red tape to navigate through. The managers are good though, and don't micromanage or act as roadblocks.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

1. "A great learning experience and, from an academic standpoint, a way to get your feet wet in industry"

Former Intern - Intern in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Large enough for basic and applied research. The working environment is collaborative (enhances problem-solving), emphasizes team-building, and, if you like it, provides perks. Even though the people who work there are incredibly bright (you may feel dumb), every one is equal. Outside of work, there is emphasis on work-life balance and they provide ways to help make that happen.

Cons

Though it is more likely a rule, versus exception, an internship does not lead to employment. In terms of computational infrastructure, I was a bit surprised that I needed to spend time getting things set up and going (given they have interns every summer).

Advice to Management

Thanks for having me!

2. "Fun company, but tough enviornment"

Former Contractor - Compensation Consultant in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Compensation Consultant in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to an exciting company in a cutting edge industry. Lots of very smart and driven people. Great food options in the company cafeteria.

Cons

Pressure to work long hours, which is the expected norm. Not the most collegial environment. Finger pointing and assigning blame when things go wrong.