Genentech - Work hard, play hard | Glassdoor

"Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

The patient is #1. Many intelligent people work here. My group is relatively free of egos, but make sure it's a good group fit before signing on the dotted line.

Cons

Often people get silo'ed and don't know what others are doing.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Global IT group"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

lots of very thoughtful and convenient amenities (even to us contractors) such as Genenbus and cafes with a variety of cuisine even for specialized diets like vegan or vegetarianism. FTE get a host of other great benefits too. For the most part people are very professional as well. Pay is fair and reasonable if not better. It's definitely a company that cares about its employees and you feel appreciated and that the resources are available to you (including required ergonomic assessments and follow-thru for office configuration and equipment personalized to your body, frame, and how you work).

At other companies you tend to hear a lot of "no budget for that sorry" for even basic things. Genentech does believe in some core fundamentals that can not be compromised and "budget" won't be an obstacle to those things (like... the ergonomic team and required ergonomice assessments).

Cons

The "spoiling" of employees over the years has developed some "divas" within the workforce and unfortunately this at times comes out in dealing with cross-functional teams or just in general in the hallways. As well, longtimers can be heard complaining about the "downhill spiral" of this company due to what they were used to and how Genentech spoiled them even further in previous generations.

As much as I appreciate that having been trhough a merger and seeing the most amazing organization become a shadow of itself and its people - the reality is that Genentech still treats their employees mighty handsomely (even if not as wel as before). So i'm sorry and grieve for you because Beyonce and Maroon 5 (or acts to that level) don't have Genentech-only concerts regularly anymore at the company parking lots... How do you survive and live like that? Get over it.

Most of you still get to travel the world in the name of "work" on the company's dime. You are still spoiled compared to the great majority of other companies and people working.

Advice to Management

Never lose the focus on philosophy on "take care of your best assets - your employees". I understand competition is tough and belt tightening is a natural evolution with the global economy - but NEVER forget to take care of your employees - THEY are the company and what makes you Genentech - nobody else.

You have and continue to do a great job of that - never lose it. And thank you for bringing me into the family (even as a contractor). It really is a terrific place to be and thank you for making the workplace so enjoyable to come to and for making me feel taken care of from the moment i walk out the door (with Genenbus), to feeding me great food at good prices 2 out of my 3 meals a day, and for taking care of me til I get home (Genenbus ride home).

2. "Best company I've ever worked for..."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people. They value their employees. You work hard, but feel appreciated every step of the way. Your work literally is helping patients live longer, better lives. And the future looks bright for Genentech and Roche thanks to an innovative product pipeline developed by Genentech scientists.

Cons

Roche's acquisition of Genentech has hampered the employee-centric culture somewhat, but it's still a really a terrific place to work.

Advice to Management

Work hard to maintain your great culture of putting employees first.