Genentech - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits
High-performance culture
Company cares about its employees and patients
Promotes diversity and inclusion more than any employer I have ever worked for

Cons

A lot of unneccessary bureaucracy especially when dealing with corporate functions
Less altruistic since Roche took over
Difficult to move up from within.

Advice to Management

Change HR practices that make it difficult for people to move up as quickly from within. So many people leave and then come back, getting hired at a salary and level they would have had to wait years to achieve from within.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

1. "I didn't think it was possible - Clinical Specialist"

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist
    Current Employee - Clinical Specialist

I have been working at Genentech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I heard how great it was to work here, I believed it superficially. Now, I am experiencing it for myself. PROS: people focused, absolutely, visionaries in adapting future technologies today (ahead of competition); innovative approach to people development; great compensation; great management team

Cons

- some sluggish software -

Advice to Management

Please please continue to hire and promote these terrific people to management. Isnt' it all about the people you hire and promote?

"Poor Management throughout, Horrible IT Department, Overly Political."

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice cafeterias in three of the twenty or so buildings. The company is helping a lot of people with cutting edge medications and advanced cancer research. Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors. If your in the upper-mid or upper echelon, you are getting a decent salary and you are being treated like a king.

Cons

HIGHLY political culture with MANY incompetent managers who seemingly unknowingly encourage an elitist-like culture. Pay is awful if you are not in the upper portion of the political spectrum. The company cut costs on things it should not, such as IT.

Overall, a depressing experience since I was coming in thinking this is the sort of company that is setting an example for future work culture where everyone is treated fairly and there is a feeling that EVERYONE is a part of the overall team. Its the opposite. Genentech is a perfect example of corporate culture and all of the negative traits rightly associated with it. Mainly that the elites are favored and the people working hard are considered disposable. If this company can save a dollar by axing you, they will not blink an eye in doing so. Basically, I received a pay cut while there are members making 480x what I currently make!

One is much better off working at a place that will acknowledge hard work and rightfully compensate for it. Rather than pinching pennies with the notion that they are doing a person like me a favor by allowing me to be on a sterile campus over-run with cubicles for the "little people" and private offices for the elites. Highly disappointing that a successful company like Genentech is allowing anyone on the campus, let alone people with jobs that are of extremely HIGH necessity to bring home less than 35k a year. Especially in a place like the Bay Area.

I left this company to work for a start-up that is paying me over 80k for performing a third of the work that I was doing at Genentech. Maybe Roche is responsible for the way things currently are and the way things are apparently headed?

The bottom line is that I cant recommend this place to anyone without an MBA or Doctorate. Life is too short.

Advice to Management

Get off the high horse!