Genentech - A Company who cares about their patients name employees" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"A Company who cares about their patients name employees""

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - IT Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely smart, talented and dedicated people who strive to help improve the life of their customers - The Patients.
Wonderful Culture

Cons

Still some integration challenges with Roche.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Good company product-and-business-wise, but it's not treating its people very well"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, beautiful campus, co-workers are mostly nice and helpful

Cons

Generally depressing working environment, at least in the department where I work.

Most employees are nice but a lot of people are narrow-minded and snobbish, considering themselves superior and acting condescendingly to contractors.

People are hard-working but generally uptight, non-relaxed and older. People get promoted because of length of stay, instead of capabilities.

The general atmosphere is the exact opposite of being upbeat, bright or exciting, work is routine, dull and full of bureaucracy, endless meetings which are mostly empty and super inefficient, people have meetings just for the sake of it.

A lot of trivial politics.

Something small but very revealing about what I meant: the company decided to become "greener", so they started to promote a program aiming at reducing waste and energy use, which is great. But they only did things that will look good on paper or presentation but does nothing to actually be greener. One example is that the company usually has paper cups next to coffee/water machines. I would think they want to replace the paper cups with glass cups that can be re-used, or simply remove the paper cups so that people will have to bring their own cups. But no, they decided, "after careful examination", to remove the bigger paper cups and only supply small paper cups. I don't think that will do anything to reduce the usage of paler cups, or even do the opposite because now people might end up using more cups per day. Other things include that they installed multiple big screen expensive monitors in the company to track the progress of the "becoming greener" project, which does nothing really except for looking good to inspectors and visitors.

Generally the company has a "brain-washing" vibe, trying to convince people that it's the best company in the world. According to what I see and experience, I could not disagree more.

Advice to Management

Managing a big company can be hard but treating people right, promoting talent and keeping efficiency is really important.

2. "Okay time but not ideal"

Pros

Good products but not wonderful products

Cons

Not many cons at this place