Genentech - 8 month co-op | Glassdoor

"8 month co-op"

Current Intern - Intern in South San Francisco, CA
Current Intern - Intern in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There is freedom with what you do. However it is dependent on your manager

Cons

Rigid corporate structure. Hard to move up

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Not what I was expecting"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor

Pros

There is always food. Left overs from meetings is a free for all for everyone

Cons

It might just be in my department but, it's not very professional. My "supervisor" is hardly very good at being that title. He/she is only called that because he/she is the one who hired me because the big boss was out at the time. Since I've started here, all I've done is order food for lunch meetings. I pretty much commute to spend my day, my 8 hours sitting in from of my computer doing nothing. Work is not being properly delegated. The supervisor acts like a child and teaches me minimal for fear of losing his/her job. I've already vented about this problem to my boss and not much has changed. I'm not being challenged nor has this been rewarding. I have learned a little but not as much as I was expecting

Advice to Management

Just because you have had a certain employee here for years, you tend to miss out on the things he/she does and doesn't do. As I had stated, I've already complained about being under utilized to the boss and I haven't seen much progress. Some of the people here are too petty and like to be chatty cathy's that it affects the way they should be treating an employee. It is not worth my time to sit here for 8 hours and do absolutely nothing. I have to pretend like i'm doing something. I think some reasons I am not given work is because only a full time employee is allowed to do those certain things. So, why was I hired in the first place? Oh, to cover for the person who always calls in sick. That's very professional.

"Very evolved processes makes it easy to work here."

Former Contractor - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Vast majority of employees are completely focused on their work -- you will seldom have to ask someone for something twice. Most people know their subject matter very well, having developed good study habits in college or graduate school.

Cons

Many employees are socially immature and unable to communicate comfortably on non-work topics -- this makes it rather dull working here. Most employees have overimbibed the koolaid: attitudes reflect they believe they are better than others because they work for a company that manufactures drugs (!). Read the other reviews to see what I mean.

Advice to Management

Your company is very top-down hierarchical and operates with military-like precision, but none of the employees feel empowered to make ANY decision without referring it up the chain. Just so you know.