Genentech - Genentech is a great company but each site is different | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"Genentech is a great company but each site is different"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

Pros

I liked the value Genentech (Corporation) placed on employee satisfaction. I feel that as a corporation Genentech shares information that impacts us at the appropriate time and trust's its employees to be professional about the information. I also liked the stability the company has attained, this affords them the ability to have extra non-routine benefits such as HoHos, Incentives, recognition programs, free drinks etc. Genentech's bonus structure is also very generous given the company has a good year. I also liked the resources available for professional development. I was able to take numerous internal courses that helped develop my skills. The Genentech facilities are also very confortable to work in with wide open spaces.

Cons

The culture at the particular site where I worked at was not very rewarding. The site tends to elicit competition with the other sites. This is a very uncomfortable situation when you are representing the site on a cross site project. Another downside is that although Genentech is flexible with your time, Genentech expects 120% from everyone, on average. However, they encourage that you balance work / life. In addition, at the site I worked at, it feels as if the ones that stretch themselves and take the challenges are not necessarily the ones that are rewarded. It sometime feels as if they prefer a more quiet behavior.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to focus on the work being accomplished and embrace individuality. It is individuality and sharing of ideas (be it same or different) that results in positive change.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

"Great culture, core values being diluted by newcomers"

Current Employee - Medical Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Director in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Culture, people, great science, innovation

Cons

Lack of complete transparency, poor managers promoted over their abilities

Advice to Management

Skip levels and listen to the people below you who are being poorly managed. There is the fear of honestly evaluating a manager who is being praised by his manager, when all of his direct reports are miserable.

2. "Times are changing, can Genentech survive."

Former Employee - Research Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

The Genentech culture for scientist is very rewarding.The Genentech culture for scientist is very rewarding.The Genentech culture for scientist is very rewarding.The Genentech culture for scientist is very rewarding.The Genentech culture for scientist is very rewarding.The Genentech culture for scientist is very rewarding.

Cons

The decision making process needs to be streamlined.The decision making process needs to be streamlined.The decision making process needs to be streamlined.The decision making process needs to be streamlined.The decision making process needs to be streamlined.The decision making process needs to be streamlined.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing because you have made Genentech extremely successful.