Genentech - How will Genentech fare in the future? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

"How will Genentech fare in the future?"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

-You're working for a great cause.
- Very collegiate atmosphere.
- Employees given perks that align with good economic times in the bay area.
- Educational events for their latest innovations.
Child care services on site.

Cons

- A bit too political.
- A bit of arrogance on behalf of GI (Genentec Informatics - IT) management.
- Immature leadership at the first level management.
- Punitive environment for speaking up.
- Strong direction in leadership roles is not rewarded.
- Roche is considered a 'close', locked down environment. Genentech, on the other hand is open to access ideas and data. I'm concerned Genentech may lose this type of information sharing as they integrate with Roche.

Advice to Management

Hire permanent employees for leadership roles. Open door policies should be better embraced. You're on the right track with regards to keeping your employees engaged and excited over your latest drug innovations. I'm not sure what the future holds for Genentech when they are fully integrated into Roche, but I would encourage you maintain an open environment where brilliant minds can share their ideas. That's what gives Genentech their leading edge.

Other Employee Reviews for Genentech

1. "The Ultimate Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Salary,Culture,Benefits...What do you expect we rain supreme in "the best place to work category"

Cons

Too Many meetings, management out of touch with there groups, some management super close to there reports or in some instances throw there weight around to get what they want. FRATERNIZATION is rampant!!!!!!Atleast in Manfacturing...

Advice to Management

Just because we dont speak much and are here for the basics and thats "to work", something you'll come to realize. The all talk less walk (meetings) theory from the dotcom days are over...just because some of us choose not to hang out at our local watering holes with ya'll doesnt mean we are less than those that do hang out with you. HR YOU NEED TO PUT THIS PLACE IN CHECK!!!You need to listen to the folks that sweat for the company, not the ones that get paid 6 figures to youtube it, iphone it or drink on company time...good thing this is annonomous, LOL!be careful slackers the grunts have you guys on film, HAHAHAHAHA!

2. "Genentech Project Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Company provides good salaries, support, and a comfortable workplace. This was true when I was there until 2008. Things may be different under Roche.

Cons

Due to its size, tasks are specialized and initiative is constrained by a corporate culture requiring consensus. Meetings dominate the work day.

Advice to Management

A less formal atmosphere (e.g., severely constraining standard operating procedures) would go a long way toward boosting creativity and productivity.