General Atomics - Poorly managed, saved by booming industry. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Atomics

"Poorly managed, saved by booming industry."

Current Employee - UAV Operator in Palmdale, CA
Current Employee - UAV Operator in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits and job stability.
- One of the best career opportunities in the Inland Empire, performing in an industry to be proud of.
- Plenty of opportunities to obtain sought after security clearances, and experience to propel your resume in defense contracting services, which all pay great without daunting and expensive educational requirements.
- Optimistic outlook on the products produced by the company.
- Attractive pay incentives, with fair travel policies, including per-diem in comfortable hotels, comfortable rental cars and an outstanding travel support team.
- OJT by industry experts.
- Great accommodation for current and retiring military, and supportive to serving National Guard and Reserve troops.
- Christmas bonuses and a pension plan, which are increasingly rare, and a nice gesture.

Cons

- Management. The company grew too fast after 9/11, and most leaders in place now are the products of tenure-based advancement, rather than raw qualification. The lack of maturity from some supervisors shows in their poor decision making abilities and the behavior of subordinates. It is no secret that this is the number one issue to an otherwise flawless company.
- The High Desert facilities are overlooked in amenities. The facilities host highly qualified and educated workers, including engineers, technicians, pilots; the breadwinners of the company who deploy to support customers. However, these workers must commute a long distance to work in a heavily crime ridden area, also one of the Meth capitols of the United States, to facilities that don't have a proper cafeteria or break area, and reside 20+ miles from civilization.
- As a deployer, I have spent 41 months in a war zone for this company in the last 4 years, non-negotiable at the risk of losing my job. It is probably time to acknowledge that we are human beings also, and not human-ATM machines to be abused by absurd work details.
- It would help if Senior Management spent less time pampering our staff in San-Diego and payed a little more attention to the rest of the company in the High Desert.

Advice to Management

I understand that weeding out tenured management looks bad, and is bad for business. However, to address the problem of poor leadership, we should start evaluating their successor's qualifications in order to begin healing this abrasive trend. Morale and retention would improve, and I believe a better output of labor would result.

Other Employee Reviews for General Atomics

"Great experience for entry level engineers."

Current Employee - Engineer I in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are happy and helpful. They offer a 9/80 work schedule. The benefits package is good and includes pension in addition to a 401K with match. The company is willing to spend money on training their employees.

Cons

There is not enough team building events. More time should be spent focusing on building camaraderie amongst members inside and outside of individual departments. Community service and improving the public image is not a big concern.

Advice to Management

Initiate team building excercises in order to build a more cohesive atmosphere within the company.

"SO SO"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Adelanto, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Adelanto, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work with very little substance

Cons

bad Good ole boy system.

Advice to Management

Get new blood in mid management. make supervisors do thier jobs