General Dynamics Electric Boat - Wonderful | Glassdoor

"Wonderful"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in New London, CT
Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, and the people around here. My group is very informative and work well together. The wealth of knowledge and ability to learn from others here is incredible.

Cons

Location, kind of unfortunate area of New London, but things have been improving. I hear of slow promotion and raises as well, but don't know first hand yet.

Advice to Management

As usual, if its true, promote or issue raises based on merit as opposed to length of time worked there.

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat

1. "Great company in a poor area"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Groton, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, find your niche easily, great rotation program, phenomenal HR department, company is consistently profitable, and great job security

Cons

Area is not for younger individuals, many employees become complacent and make it difficult to work with them, not for foreign nationals or any non US citizens

Advice to Management

Need better young employee retention

2. "Many opportunities to do different things."

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in New London, CT

I have been working at General Dynamics Electric Boat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable employment and good salary. Plenty of opportunities to make lateral moves to other projects and programs if you are not satisfied with what you are doing.

Cons

Difficult for mid-career people who have not grown up in the company to advance. Culture is a bit resentful to people who did not start at the company. Management style is somewhat bureaucratic and arcane. Quality of managers and supervisors can be hit and miss.

Advice to Management

Improve salaried employee benefits such as vacation time. 40 hours annually for the first 10 years of employment is not comparable with the industry.