General Dynamics Mission Systems - An ok place to work..... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"An ok place to work....."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

I see a lot of engineers' reviews on here, so here's one from a different perspective (finance). General Dynamics is a good place to start your career if you're young or a recent college graduate. It is a Fortune 500 company with ok benefits during a time when many other companies are reducing theirs or cutting them altogether.

Cons

Compensation. Period. If you're not an engineer, you will definitely come in at a below-market salary. The company changed it's promotion structure to make it harder for young employees to get their money. We've already begun losing young promising talent, and this will only continue to happen.

Dead Weight. There's a lot of it. And overpaid, too. It can be found in all functions (Program Management, Contracts, Subcontracts, Finance, Billings, etc.). This has a life-sucking effect on morale, which has continued to steadily drop.

Also, even though we are "salaried" employees, the company expects us to work a certain amount of uncompensated overtime (which is tracked) every year. This is factored into promotions, raises, etc. The result is employees having to play a game just to advance their careers. Management doesn't care that some people just take a lot longer to do the same job as others.

Advice to Management

Cut the dead weight and pay the young guys. And, for heaven's sake, fix the promotion system and salary structure. Pay attention to the supporting functions! Just because we're not engineers doesn't mean we aren't important.

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Great people and great technology; great programs

Cons

Government contracting isn't great right now

Advice to Management

Keep it up; your communications to employees are great

2. "Exec leadership at GD-AIS"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Little turn over at the exec down to mgr levels. Good exec leadership training courses at Sr Mgr and Dir levels. Only one layer of VPs between ops divs and ELTON.

Cons

Exec Leadership Team operates as managers vs leaders. Constantly looking at how to cut to make numbers instead of growing the business.