General Dynamics Mission Systems - Forever grateful for my time at GDMS Viz | Glassdoor

"Forever grateful for my time at GDMS Viz"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really can't imagine a better place to start out my career and was with the Viz office for almost 11 years. I was surrounded by incredibly talented and friendly people who were more than happy to share their knowledge with me. On top of that I was faced with complex problems that challenged me, got to work with some of the latest web technologies and distributed systems before they were common place, and was... provided with leadership and recruiting opportunities. Additionally, with there being many projects in the office I had the chance to move around, try new things, and gain new experiences. Office management does a great job of looking out for you as well and truly cared about my well being. They only ask that you work hard and are open and honest with them in return. The work life balance and office culture are great as well. It is probably worth noting that the only reason I left the company is to pursue a once in a lifetime opportunity that I simply couldn't pass up and would absolutely consider coming back if things don't work out.

Cons

GDMS is a defense contractor, and with that comes some annoyances that are just part of government contracts. That said office management does an excellent job of shielding their employees from as much of that as they can. Also, over the years salary compensation has fallen a little behind other top notch jobs in Pittsburgh, but I know office management is working hard to change that and I suspect they will be back... ahead of the curve in the not too distant future. Even still, compensation is fairly competitive, if not ahead of most software development companies in the area.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-04-07
  1. "Normal corporate work schedule"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, lots of time off, flexible working schedule.

Cons

You’re just a number.... each day feels the exact same. Nothing exciting is going to happen. Very repetitive and standers corporate job

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-09-02
  2. "Great company, but poorly structured internship"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems for less than a year

Pros

Working for defense is so rewarding. The people who work there are very passionate and they work on amazing projects.

Cons

Not many skills to take away from the internship. Internship has flexible start and end date, but they won't tell you when important intern events occur that you are required to do until after you submit your end date. Housing assistance is not provided.

Advice to Management

Structure the internship with an actual start and end date, or at least provide new hires with a timeline of events that interns are expected to participate in.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-10-15

Discover more reviews about General Dynamics Mission Systems.