General Dynamics Mission Systems - Fun job, but benefits are slowly slipping away | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"Fun job, but benefits are slowly slipping away"

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Everyone is expendable to management no matter how hard you work.

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"Long time employee"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This has been an overall good place to work. Until fairly recently it has been a secure job (no pun intended) and it's been a challenging one, the people I work with have been great, and the compensation and benefits are favorable when compared with industry.

Cons

Being under the GD corporate umbrella has put a lot of pressure on the company to perform. Unfortunately, the corporation reports to stockholders and only asks what have you done for me lately. This is of course short-sighted, so while we have helped buoy the corporation during lean times in other groups, now we are drastically limiting IRADs, laying off good employees and thereby planning to fail. This is a tough environment with sequestration, but the way layoffs are being handled is dehumanizing. Management set themselves apart by stopping company-wide participation in the company's success while continuing to reward themselves with bonuses.

Advice to Management

Management and higher grade personnel are not the only people that contribute to the company's success, so why is everyone else locked out of bonuses? Already having greater salaries, this is just evidence of management greed and has not gone unnoticed.

Regarding layoffs, I once worked at a company who told employees in the lower rank order where they stood with a couple of months notice before a layoff. To my knowledge there was no retaliation, only appreciation for being treated like a person with value. If you continue to treat people like commodities, you not only continue to lower yourself, you see the attrition of highly productive employees who may not be at risk. We have seen good employees leave on their own already and it will only get worse. Management rightfully trumpets ethics but doesn't seem to have good ethical/moral compass.

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many advancement opportunities, many learning opportunities. Flexible schedule and decent benefits. Great people to work with and you will make many friends. The work is fun but also challenging. Performance reviews can be utilized for your own personal career growth.

Cons

Layoffs / work forecast directly affected by yearly Federal defense budget. If there are delays in the budget being passed, the company doesn't receive anticipated work and may be forced to lay off people, there seems to be this threat every year.