General Dynamics Mission Systems - Excellent people, interesting work, company struggling | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"Excellent people, interesting work, company struggling"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous engineering talent. Teams come together to do things bigger than themselves. Flexible schedules. Good pay. People are proud of what they do.

Cons

Senior mgmt response to projects getting behind schedule is to work harder not smarter. Bonuses don't go down low enough. Company actually discourages employees from being stock owners.

Layoffs never stop. All levels hit, no one knows when they will be next. It is no longer a feeling of "if" but rather "when". No one feels safe.

Advice to Management

Invest in your products; lead and show a vision. Inspire.

Layoff philosophy of never ending monthly if not weekly dribble of layoffs is very painful to the morale. One can never feel like they can move on from it. Will be a good business school study some day to see if constant dribble of layoffs is better or worse than just a few major layoffs.

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"Worst company I have ever worked for - stay away!"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule, mostly challenging work

Cons

Lack of a competitive benefits package, poor pay increases - always blaming the need to stay competitive, while senior staff reap great dividends from contract incentives. I have worked for General Electric, Martin Marietta, Lockheed Martin and then General Dynamics over a 40 year career both as an hourly worker to a Senior Engineer, General Dynamics was by far the worst. GD took all our benefits away since taking over our plant. Ethics is just a poster on the wall!

Advice to Management

Wake up or you will lose this business

"Depressing Outlook"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The folks here are friendly, helpful, and enjoyable to work with. There's a great culture, even without a deep immersion. If you're stuck or need to reach out for help outside of your project scope, I've learned that people are invariably willing to assist.

Cons

The current economic crises have taken a toll on compensation and morale. In early 2013 Senior Management nixed merit-based pay increases for at least this year, and in 2012 they reduced PTO earnings. The rate of employment attrition is staggeringly high, but fresh college graduates are being hired semi-annually. I don't have the impression that there is any hope for real career progression.