General Dynamics Mission Systems - Management has NO Clue how to cope with the current environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"Management has NO Clue how to cope with the current environment"

Current Employee - SW Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - SW Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid technical team. If you're in the right place and tied to the right programs, they are well resourced...but increasingly less so.

Cons

The most unimaginative senior management crew you will find in a company this size. Shockingly so"

They have an incredible set of technical skills and assets available to them, but seem oblivious to the need to enter new markets not facing the budgetary constraints caused by being tied almost completely to DoD spending. Instead of leveraging their capabilities to expand into new markets, they're hoping to get a bigger share of a shrinking pie - and doing so while mercilessly and almost randomly jettisoning experienced and capable people.

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Advice to Management

Try to grasp that while you have to control costs, you cannot cut your way to growth, earnings or long-term profitability. Step back and figure out how to prosper in a post-defense-budget growth environment. Foster creativity, not a "keep your head down" mentality.

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"Excellent people, interesting work, company struggling"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous engineering talent. Teams come together to do things bigger than themselves. Flexible schedules. Good pay. People are proud of what they do.

Cons

Senior mgmt response to projects getting behind schedule is to work harder not smarter. Bonuses don't go down low enough. Company actually discourages employees from being stock owners.

Layoffs never stop. All levels hit, no one knows when they will be next. It is no longer a feeling of "if" but rather "when". No one feels safe.

Advice to Management

Invest in your products; lead and show a vision. Inspire.

Layoff philosophy of never ending monthly if not weekly dribble of layoffs is very painful to the morale. One can never feel like they can move on from it. Will be a good business school study some day to see if constant dribble of layoffs is better or worse than just a few major layoffs.

"The best 34 years of my life."

Former Employee - Document Control Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Document Control Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part about working at General Dynamics was the people that I worked with. It was also very close to my home. I loved the 9/80 schedule and the flexible hours. It was actually fun to go to work! It was my dream job.

Cons

The down side was our Corporate Office didn't seem to support our particular facility. We felt like since we didn't work on the east coast, we didn't matter.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management would be to pay more attention to the people that work for you. Take time out of your day to show that you care about us and you appreciate the work we are doing for you.