General Dynamics Mission Systems - General Dynamics C4 Systems lacks strategic vision and manages via the "good old boy network". | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"General Dynamics C4 Systems lacks strategic vision and manages via the "good old boy network"."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - IT Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GD pays well for the area, they support flexible work options including telecommuting, and their products help keep soldiers safe.

Cons

Opportunities for women and minorities are limited, the company is struggling to capitalize on its portfolio, and it has been laying off staff for 3 years with no end in sight.

Advice to Management

Employees need to know there is some plan for the future that involves more than just layoffs.

General Dynamics Mission Systems Response

Apr 28, 2014 – HR Operations

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to send your advice to our senior staff and internal communications so that they may better communicate with employees about the company’s outlook. If you ... More

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Pittsfield, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and work schedule. The standard work schedule is a 9/80 which is really nice. The managers really value your personal time.

Cons

Standard defense contracting can get extremely boring. Many people are indifferent about their jobs. Often people are lacking passion about their job.

"Generally ok, wide mix of project/people quality"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Some work is exciting and makes a difference.
    Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch -- they get bonuses while our salaries are frozen and benefits cut.
    Some projects are tedious, boring, and poorly managed.
    2014 isn't a good time to be a defense contractor.

Advice to Management

Share the pain; stop painting rosy pictures for investors while pushing employees to keep doing more with less. Branch out from defense contracting -- the handwriting is on the wall! Try harder to insulate the teams that are rocking.

General Dynamics Mission Systems Response

Apr 28, 2014 – HR Operations

We are continually impressed by the ingenuity and creativity of our engineers, especially during these tough financial times when we often ask our engineers to be more cost efficient while continuing ... More