General Dynamics Mission Systems - Big Company | Glassdoor

"Big Company"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I spent the beginning years of my career at GD. It allowed me to grow into quite a robust engineer over 10 years, developing technical solutions to difficult problems. The company allowed for me to transfer between multiple programs, allowing me to continue to grow in my engineering experiences.

Cons

Every year that I worked at GD, there were layoffs.

Even though the building was well maintained, it has been going through a remodeling phase for over 5 years, one floor/area at a time.

Due to the contracting business, you never know if your program is going to be there the next day. It would be nice to hear some straight facts from upper management so that you can be aware of the current vibe of the company.

Advice to Management

Promote people when they deserve it instead of waiting for them to interview at other companies and then counter offer.

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics Mission Systems

"General Dynamics C4 Systems lacks strategic vision and manages via the "good old boy network"."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GD pays well for the area, they support flexible work options including telecommuting, and their products help keep soldiers safe.

Cons

Opportunities for women and minorities are limited, the company is struggling to capitalize on its portfolio, and it has been laying off staff for 3 years with no end in sight.

Advice to Management

Employees need to know there is some plan for the future that involves more than just layoffs.

General Dynamics Mission Systems Response

Apr 28, 2014 – HR Operations

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to send your advice to our senior staff and internal communications so that they may better communicate with employees about the company’s outlook. If you ... More

"Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Pittsfield, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and work schedule. The standard work schedule is a 9/80 which is really nice. The managers really value your personal time.

Cons

Standard defense contracting can get extremely boring. Many people are indifferent about their jobs. Often people are lacking passion about their job.