General Dynamics Mission Systems - Mixed, great for many, but my interests diverged from company's projects over time | Glassdoor
  1. "Mixed, great for many, but my interests diverged from company's projects over time"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for 10+ yrs along side some bright, dedicated professionals who were/are committed to their stakeholders. Decent 401k match, benefits Company cafeteria Mostly good work/life balance (tougher to maintain the higher up the ladder you get though) I got my master's degree paid for while I was there; I'm not sure whether the education benefits are what they once were though.

Cons

It can be tough being moved around to different departments based on their need/workload (in conjunction with your current project needing to staff down) rather than your interests and skills. I found there was more demand for web/server/cloud skills in the SW dev marketplace in general than there were opportunities within GD to learn those type of skills to stay relevant and marketable overall outside of GD, so... that was a big reason why I decided to work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I don't know whether things have changed significantly since I've worked there but the projects on which I worked were very documentation and process heavy where better results could have been achieved using a more agile approach. Some of this might be imposed government contractual standards endemic to defense contracting, though.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2015-06-18
  1. "Normal corporate work schedule"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, lots of time off, flexible working schedule.

Cons

You’re just a number.... each day feels the exact same. Nothing exciting is going to happen. Very repetitive and standers corporate job

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-09-02
  2. "Great company, but poorly structured internship"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems for less than a year

Pros

Working for defense is so rewarding. The people who work there are very passionate and they work on amazing projects.

Cons

Not many skills to take away from the internship. Internship has flexible start and end date, but they won't tell you when important intern events occur that you are required to do until after you submit your end date. Housing assistance is not provided.

Advice to Management

Structure the internship with an actual start and end date, or at least provide new hires with a timeline of events that interns are expected to participate in.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-10-15

Discover more reviews about General Dynamics Mission Systems.