General Dynamics - GD. Some tings to consider. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics

"GD. Some tings to consider."

Current Employee - Junior Network Engineer in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Junior Network Engineer in Detroit, MI

Pros

They are a company that has positions world wide. They have offer a good medical/dental/vision/legal benefits package. There are a resonable amount of positions that allow for company growth. There is an option to buy leave in your first 5 years of employment. Afterwards you get the 3rd week free. A lot of the people you work with are good people. Managment has the ability to work with you in situations if needs be.

Cons

The downsides are that sometimes work is too demanding. You have to do so many things outside of work to progress that it's like you are still at work even when you're not. Management can be overbearing at times with their will. The base salary isn't quite where it should be but the difference might be made up in contracts where you receive housing. However not all contracts receive housing.

Advice to Management

Think more about the needs of the employees.

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics

1. "Nice place to work."

Former Employee - Programmer in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Programmer in Pensacola, FL

Pros

There are many opportunities to grow and learn. The environment is very stable. There were never any worries of lay-offs or closings or anything like that. The employees treated each other with respect. Management is very concerned with the employee's well being. The work-life balance is great! The benefits are very good. The feedback given on performance reviews are helpful. The communication about the happenings of the company are spread throughout. Employee morale was very good.

Cons

The pay is a little on the low side. And I wouldn't call the technologies used "top of the line", in fact they might be a little dated.

Advice to Management

Take some lessons from Google on how you design the company infrastructure.

"Learn to play golf."

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Large Co with good reputation

Cons

Very unfair integration of aquired companies. They aquired several companies and have integrated them into one unit on the cheap. 2 years into it and calendars don't mesh. Takes 2 months to get an expense report reimbursed, 3 months to replace a 5 year old laptop. Strict adherence to salary guidelines regardless of performance (supervisors 2 levels up recommended an 8% increase, VP of personnel dropped it to 2.5% because I was in top 80 percentile for location). I am incapable of dropping performance level to reflect what this tells me GD thinks of me, so I guess I'll start looking.

Advice to Management

Reward those who do the work, not the "good old boys". VPs that won't help because"that's not my job" are worse than useless.