General Dynamics - Collapsing Hard and Fast | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics

"Collapsing Hard and Fast"

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Sterling Heights, MI
Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

Decent benefits, good stock plan, decent people on the working floors

Cons

Over the last ten years Senior Management has been treating the Customer as their personal piggy bank, running up the billed hours in order to make sales quotas and executive bonuses (and the Customer knows it). Management has invested little to nothing in actual product development (has not developed any tech demonstration platforms in 10+ years), and refuses to train employees in anything (except mandatory security refreshers). The VP of Engineering has been physically escorted off The Customer's premises on at least two occasions. After two consecutive multi-billion dollar flops, The Customer has recently informed the rest of the world that they don't need and don't want the product anymore. Division recently laid off ~200 people, cuts are expected to reach at least 1000 employees before year's end. In short, the division is going out of business, and Management is still trying to pretend that nothing is wrong.

Advice to Management

It is probably too late to save the division. But if anyone really wanted to try, the first step would be to fire anyone in the division whose title includes President, Senior Vice President, Vice President, Senior Director, Director, and Senior Manager (yes, that's six levels of senior management, compared to four levels of floor employees). Next, bring in leaders from successful divisions to run operations until adequate candidates can be found and developed from inside. Third, make sure that the new leadership actually is co-located with the people they lead; remove the palaces in Mahogany Row and revoke all other executive privileges. Fourth, fix the time accounting system and remove the other administrative roadblocks. Finally, establish *and fund* a dedicated new product development team with a dedicated procurement arm (separate and independent from Production supply chain management).

Other Employee Reviews for General Dynamics

1. "Great place to intern"

Former Employee - DQA Intern in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - DQA Intern in Spokane, WA

Pros

Large number of interns allowing for a well balanced program. Lots of special work assignments for interns in particular. Allows for work across engineer disciplines.

Cons

Not much. The all employee meetings and bonus did not usually include interns with was a bummer. The annual Christmas bonus was a gift card to Sears.

Advice to Management

It should be made clear in the months leading towards an intern graduation date if there will be a job available or one that they should apply for. I was left to discern this on my own.

"Great Place to Work and Promote"

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Baltimore, MD

Pros

General Dynamics has proven to be one of the best places I have ever worked. At a time when I felt I had gone as far as I could go, I was proven wrong with a merit promotion to the next level. There is also paid training for those seeking to advance their skills and make themselves more marketable by obtaining a degree or job related certification.

Cons

Any downsides I could list that are applicable to working at General Dynamics would also generally apply to working at any employer anywhere in the US. Some things are not specific to employers but are experienced more broadly by most everyone at one time or another who has been in the work force any length of time. There are however some in our organization that do not get the recognition that they deserve because their work, although vital to the mission is not as visible thereby leaving them to languish on the vine and seek other venues of employment. This is unfortunate for any company.

Advice to Management

Know your employees...even the quiet contributors. Recognize and know the value and level of contribution of employees even if they are employees who don't toot their own horns. Lack of improvement in this area, could potentially cost the company a good, loyal, hardworking employee. Having been with the company for as long as I have, I know that maintaining a quality work force is of great concern to the management team.