General Mills - Not What I Expected | Glassdoor

"Not What I Expected"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Golden Valley, MN
Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is very collaborative and the people are friendly. They have a lot of company sponsored (paid for) events which make you feel valued and appreciated. They have a broad three day on-boarding class which gives you an excellent overview of the company, and uses real-world business cases. The salary and benefits are excellent.

Cons

General Mills has a very unique internal language that is hard to learn. The job-specific onboarding is more of a trial and error approach than a well-documented or well thought process. I sat in my cubicle and took notes while the guy training me played on his Iphone, and tried to remember what he had done in the past. The work life balance is poor, and while no one tells you to work nights and weekends, it is necessary to put in extra hours to keep up with your work. It is not uncommon to receive requests at night or on the weekend.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with new people, and make sure proper documentation is in place for newhires.

Other Employee Reviews for General Mills

"Sales and sales manager positions, traditional format customers, full portfolio responsibilities"

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager I in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager I in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance, high quality training , personnel. Wining brands, credibility with customers. Continuous improvement initiatives. Steady, strong ship.

Cons

Slower to respond in consumer market, relying on canned approach/ systems rather than custom expertise with customer. Adverse to change even when key customers challenge organization as "late, slow" behind the curve vs innovator.

Advice to Management

Balance the steady ship approach with more true forward thinking initiatives, not merely tweaks to existing models. It's time to go beyond the next iteration of Cheerios, there are other ideas yet to be created.

"Great people with fun, recognizable products."

Pros

Strong brands and strong people.

Cons

All the common detractors for a giant company: slow, not agile, a lot of red tape to get certain things done, etc.