General Mills - Way to political | Glassdoor

"Way to political"

Former Employee - Supervision in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Supervision in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the brightest people I have worked with.

Cons

Waaaay to political. Managers will have their peers attempt at setting you up, just to see if you support your boss or not. Some are very savvy and it's an easy trap to fall into. If you want to excel, have your ideas respected, don't want to play little political games and want to speak your mind, don't work here. And God help you if you're a Conservative. These folks, especially as of late and their backing of same sex marriage with ostracize you in a second if you don't play the "divwersity" game. I made the mistake of saying I'm not for diversity. Diversity gets no one anywhere, just gives the company warm fuzzy's and a great review in the paper. I'm for individual accomplishment and achievement, not advancement because of diversity, which is funny. This company, like all others, toes the line saying "we don't discriminate by gender, race, sexual orientation" blah blah, but exactly how discriminatory is it to promote someone BECAUSE of those factors and that person isn't qualified. Glad I left...

Advice to Management

Quit playing games, provide a path, knock off the PC crap.

Other Employee Reviews for General Mills

1. "Simply one of the best"

Current Employee - IS Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IS Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills part-time

Pros

Excellent culture. Very smart people you work with. Family Oriented. Excellent work life balance. I really couldn't ask for more from GMI. Benefits are top notch.

The thing that kept me coming back to General Mills are the people, there is a General Mills personality that makes people want to be there. After being there for so long, it is extremely easy to make good friends at work.

Cons

I was not passionate about working with cereal and food products in general. However, I loved the people I worked with, so this was not a huge issue.

2. "Great Company Overall"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Hazleton, PA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Hazleton, PA

I have been working at General Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very competitive pay, vacation, medical dental, retirement 401k.
    Lots of differing experience and development opportunity. Challenging projects and meaningful work off the bat.

Cons

Very political and every day is a show. Wherever you are someone might get a glimpse. Hopefully that person understands but may not and they will draw conclusions based on opinion rather than fact.. Very little accountabilty at any level that I have seen.

Advice to Management

Try to understand the actual process as well as the management aspect. Respect can quickly be lost if you 'just manage people'