Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Best company to work for

Mar 23, 2021 - Live Chat Agent in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everything is good so far!

Cons

Nothing! Absolutely nothing. Best managers!

1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 3 years

Work Life at GM

Jun 13, 2021 - Materials Group Leader in Warren, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people you work with are great and have helped me grow so much since I started here. The job is very challenging but rewarding. Opportunity to grow.

Cons

As a contractor, you don't feel like your part of One Team motto that is used.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Doung things right, Bright future ahead!!

Jun 11, 2021 - Platform Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

First off, they're offering remote, compared to companies like APPLE who have received employee backlash for not offering remote, APPLE!! 🤣 They realized the competition and immediately adjusted and restructured to catch on in the EV space after the Tesla hype. Not only that, but I feel like they're trying to even compete against longtime tech giants like Google even though GM is an automotive company. I get this feeling because what IT was like 5 years ago is completely different today! It's like they're investing heavily in new generation of IT and technology, unprecedented in the history of GM before! Also the best impression i had of GM is when the pandemic happened, all companies were preparing for layoffs of some form, including reputable ones like LinkedIn and even Google let go of contract employees!! However, GM did something outstanding they've never done before! They cut everyone's salaries and especially executives TEMPORARILY. This granted job security and even better, we got paid back pay WITH INTEREST!! I really respected this move on GM's part! What an amazing move that saved the company a couple billion dollars in the face of the pandemic! Theres a reason the stock price is now equivalent to that of social media giant Twitter's!

Cons

When I started out, the pay was slightly below market average, but they explained this is because they account for it in other benefits like 2x yearly raise for 3 years, which eventually aligns the pay midpoint to that of the market. So fair enough. I'm not sure if they're still doing that though based on what I heard from new college hires. Restructuring which led to layoffs was sonething sad but not surprising since when I had HR onboarding 5 years ago, the representatives acknowledged that layoffs are unavoidable when necessary. However I think with the way they handled the pandemic, it seems this mentality is no longer in place and job security has improved dramatically!

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about General Motors (GM).