General Motors - Rick Wagoner has done a very good job turning around the culture at General Motors over the last 5+ years. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

"Rick Wagoner has done a very good job turning around the culture at General Motors over the last 5+ years."

Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager

Pros

GM is a great company to work for, I have a high level of pride when I tell people I work for GM. In my position, I am empowered to make decisions and control the product development that I am responsible for. GM is not just a US company, we are a Global company, and have improved the living standards of many people who have worked for us and for the suppliers and businesses that that support our manufacturing.

Cons

As with any large corporation, there is a certain amount of difficulty with communication between the layers of workers and between departments. This has improved drastically in the last few years, but still remains to some extent.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I believe we are on the right track and have some of the best product and highest quality that we have ever had. We are at a turning point in our evolution, and we will come out of this stronger than we were when the economic problems began.

Other Employee Reviews for General Motors

1. "You ask to much personal information, it makes it difficult to get people to participate."

Current Employee - Global Business Lead for Maintenance in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Global Business Lead for Maintenance in Detroit, MI

Pros

It is good work representing good people. It is great products, built with pride by Americans supporting the Manufacturing backbone of this country. GM is rebuilding it's image and products to compete in a Global Market. It is interesting work during troubled times. I expect that Gm will turn this situation around and be stronger than anyone predicts today.

Cons

Bad times, make for limited promotions and opportunities to achieve more. So little control over the forces that work against us. The weak economy, the banking crisis, the lending crisis, etc....

Advice to Management

Keep the the Strong Marketting Campaign moving. I think that America should get reacquainted with GM the Company. A strong contributer to our communities, we need to promote ourselves as a vibrant active part of communities that we live and work in.

"An outstanding company in crisis that can be fixed with a middle management leadership "enema""

Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Worldwide advancement opportunities. Can't imagine getting excited about a consumer durable other than cars. The work isn't dull. Things change everyday and the pace is fast. Never get bored and have the opportunity to participate in activities through GM sponsorships like attending major sporting and cultural events.

Cons

Job security, while never an issue in the past, is suspect right now. Culture of senior leadership is sometimes stifling to innovation. Sometimes, middle management appear to do/say what's best for their career rather than what's best for the company. Benefits are getting trimmed and salaries are a bit below competitive with other industries.

Advice to Management

Need to be more proactive and less reactive. Need to change the culture to accept the truth from subordinates, not just rewarding those that "tell them what they want to hear". Need to push decision and accountability making further down the chain and make the whole organization flatter. Need to take the "checksheet" mentality out of the company and deliberately move away from tasks that consume time, but are not critical to success. Executive leadership, VP and above, is outstanding. Middle management is a problem with many social promotions of average performers that are connected to director level employees.