General Motors - Some great products, some great people, but some poor decision making going on | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

"Some great products, some great people, but some poor decision making going on"

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
Current Employee - Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the people in the plants

Cons

evaporating benefits, lack of resources, lack of communication, no pay raises

Advice to Management

Stop creating executive jobs, start staffing the plants with employess, not temps or contract people

Other Employee Reviews for General Motors

1. "Supplier Quality Engineer"

Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Lockport, NY
    Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Lockport, NY

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Matches background, industry has downsized considerably. I am not sure if I am lucky or unlucky to still be in the industry.

Cons

Pay structure reduced. Raises are no longer added to base, one time payment. Pensions frozen for salary, not hourly. Certain salary pensions allowed to go to government administration with drastic reductions. 401k's are a fine alternative, but employer contribution much lower during the days of pension accrural.

Advice to Management

Salary workforce will be mobile as economy picks up, no incentive for longevity

2. "Laidoff...with employees still working with less seniority."

Current Employee - Machine Repair in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Machine Repair in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had 10 years of service when I was laidoff, which gave me the opportunity to go back to school through the TAA program and still get my subpay. So it was the best case situation for me in a bad situation.

Cons

I was laidoff before others that had less seniority than myself. There were 10 of us in this situation. I am the only one left that did not take a severance or transfer to a new plant. It's not right but the union does what ever it wants to if it pleases them.

Advice to Management

I have no words...in fact my issue wasn't with management. I did my job and I did it well. The union is my issue...I know that they help me in many situations but in this one it was a decision that the union made so they could retain others (one the shop chairs nephew) so others were laid off. I still pay union dues 3 years later and they won't even return a phone call from me. I've called 3 times in 3 years. So glad I went and got my bachelors on them.