General Motors - Leadership inconsistencies | Glassdoor

"Leadership inconsistencies"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Executive Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid pay and benefits, some good people who know their business. Some of those people are trying to turn the company around, but it is a big challenge in light of the entrenched bureaucracy.

Cons

Bizarre leadership focus too often; inconsistent and frankly too low performance expectations. There are too many mindless bureaucrats within the organization that plod along, working to avoid any responsibility. Too often, it seems like the main objective is to avoid making any decision that might mean responsibility.

Advice to Management

Too many times "team" is used as a cover for lack of individual responsibility and accountability.

Other Employee Reviews for General Motors

"My current experience at General Motors has been very rewarding."

Current Employee - Group Leader (Supervisor) in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Group Leader (Supervisor) in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

General Motors offers some of the best benefits available from a work place. We have 16 scheduled paid holidays, and start out with 3 weeks vacation. The medical benefits are also phenomenal in comparison to many other companies. Most people that complain either haven't worked anywhere else, or haven't done so in a very long time. In addition. the pay is also very competitive.

Cons

A lot of the Union members favor an adversarial relationship with management, as opposed to understanding that it behooves us to work cohesively. The upper management is more "tolerable" of disrespectful behavior from Union leadership than what I'm accustomed to, but that seems to be common in this area. I'm not confident it's the same way in Detroit.

Advice to Management

Maintain the unity that I've seen amongst salary individuals thus far. In addition, we need to perpetuate the imperative nature of our success to the hourly employees. The company (like any other), could easily find itself in a bad situation again, depending on our actions and the economy.

"Good company to gain experience. not a long term choice if not in Michigan and in the club"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance; Very good vacation time.
    Good company to gain experiences
    Decent pay

Cons

Value process instead of engineers; management has no long term vision

Advice to Management

None