General Motors - Co-op Student; Electrical Engineering | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

"Co-op Student; Electrical Engineering"

Current Employee - Co-Op Student in Lansing, MI
Current Employee - Co-Op Student in Lansing, MI

I have been working at General Motors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay for a student (plus paid housing), real responsibilities and opportunities, great opportunities for networking, professional environment, and a phenomenal learning experience.

Cons

I have no complaints yet. I know that people holding other positions all have things to say about union injustices, et cetera, but in my position my experience has been all good.

Advice to Management

Tell me how I'm doing! As a student, I could use more feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for General Motors

"I don't know how they stay in business. They are like the banks, too big to fail."

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Make some adequate products, sometimes get it right. Some good job and advancement opportunities. Lots of different areas and people to get involved with. Good paycheck.

Cons

Engineering, accounting, manufacturing, testing, development, validation, etc., processes and procedures are inadequate, incomplete, disjointed, ignored, non-existent, out-dated, not communicated adequately,...
    Poor sense of community, comraderie, commitment to company and co-workers, indifference from management, lack of trust and confidence going both ways.

Advice to Management

Get rid of this matrix management style that it took 14 years to stumble into, nobody knows who owes what assignment, hand-offs are dropped, much shuffling, much information and time is lost, many errors are made on changing assumptions and talent.

2. "Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work, busy days, Great product programs, Easy to follow process and great co-workers. Clean office environment with up-to-date computer software. Paid holidays and vacations!

Cons

Leadership is too top heavy, Company vision and goals are unrealistic to market demand. No over-time pay. Flex-time is a joke if your not in the "In crowd". Seniority also a joke. Basically if you have no one really looking out for you, your left out. Same Good ol' boys tactics from the past.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, Be more open to change