General Motors - A big company that's actually alright. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

"A big company that's actually alright."

Current Employee - Hybrid Controls Engineer in Milford, MI
Current Employee - Hybrid Controls Engineer in Milford, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are definitely some benefits to woking at GM, 4 weeks of vacation, a big company with big resources when they want to use them, good salaries, good bonuses. I worked in the hybrid division and it was a fast paced area that was full of innovation.

Cons

Its a really big company so change is slow. Also, you can feel disconnected from upper management cause there are so many levels. Since there are so many levels it seems sometimes upper management doesn't make the best decisions, compared to if they were an engineer working on the actually program. Also hybrids was moving towards being process driven, which is good because it makes sure people think about that they do, but really can slow down work an innovation as well.

Advice to Management

My personal manager was excellent! Helped my career, gave me advice, and I could be open and honest with him. If every manager was like him, GM would be the best place to work at I could think of.

To upper management, make sure to stay connected to lower level engineers (7 and below) because sometimes your decisions really don't make sense to us, and I feel if you listened to the reasons why, you might agree and not make the bad decisions that later have to be reversed or fixed.

Other Employee Reviews for General Motors

1. "Great company morale and lively spirit. Still suffers from corporate politics at all levels."

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GM has decent benefits, good training, and provides more holidays off then most fortune companies. I work with a lot of great fun people. Not a stressful environment; work-life balance is good.

Cons

The compensation is average - they offer use of corporate cars as compensation/benefits.

GM is slow to get anything done. Approval after approval after approval- meetings after meetings after meetings without actually getting somewhere.

2. "Excellent Career for Intellectually Inclined People!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, challenging work tasks, learn something new everyday, usage of the latest and greatest technology set. Ability to drive a new car four times a year. Great benefits, even better 401K plan and very competitive salary/bonus structure. All the software development training one could ever ask for along with a hefty tuition reimbursement package!

Cons

Considering the sheer size of GM causes lags in getting things approved/accomplished. Lack of career direction. Warren Tech Centers looks as though we are in 1950's.

Advice to Management

Conceptualize a career planning road map for employees