General Motors - IT - Company doesn't have a clue on how to run this division | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for General Motors

"IT - Company doesn't have a clue on how to run this division"

Current Employee - Anonymous
Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional.

Cons

This company brought over all the Managers that ruined HP and was rated the worst IT company to work for and they are now implementing the same processes at GM. No chance for advancement and if you do move up in your passion you are not rewarded for it. Same old story…we are working on it – yet Upper mgmt. always gets there cut not matter what. Pay is decent but not what they preach and nowhere the industry standard for a company of this size. I see no good reviews by employee’s working in the IT department unless you are management. Take your talents elsewhere to a company that appreciates IT

Advice to Management

Recognize your people and when they move up the change reward them for it.

Other Employee Reviews for General Motors

1. "GM Needs to change"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Warren, MI
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent styling on current products

Cons

Lack of direction from management. Required training for GM employees is negligible. It sometimes seems like there is a complete lack of interest in doing something new or different and then surprised that the results are the same as always. New technologies are ignored or mistrusted.

Advice to Management

Do a better job with your contract employees. Remove the harsh restrictions on them if they want to move around either internally or to other OEM's. Its a disgrace how you treat them.

"A big company that's actually alright."

Current Employee - Hybrid Controls Engineer in Milford, MI
    Current Employee - Hybrid Controls Engineer in Milford, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are definitely some benefits to woking at GM, 4 weeks of vacation, a big company with big resources when they want to use them, good salaries, good bonuses. I worked in the hybrid division and it was a fast paced area that was full of innovation.

Cons

Its a really big company so change is slow. Also, you can feel disconnected from upper management cause there are so many levels. Since there are so many levels it seems sometimes upper management doesn't make the best decisions, compared to if they were an engineer working on the actually program. Also hybrids was moving towards being process driven, which is good because it makes sure people think about that they do, but really can slow down work an innovation as well.

Advice to Management

My personal manager was excellent! Helped my career, gave me advice, and I could be open and honest with him. If every manager was like him, GM would be the best place to work at I could think of.

To upper management, make sure to stay connected to lower level engineers (7 and below) because sometimes your decisions really don't make sense to us, and I feel if you listened to the reasons why, you might agree and not make the bad decisions that later have to be reversed or fixed.