Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) - Horrible place to work!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

"Horrible place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Zanesville, OH
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Zanesville, OH

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are very many smart compassionate employees who really care about the patients. I work with many nice and caring people.

Cons

I would advise anyone to say away from this place! The insurance is very expensive and covers very little. Of course you must use their Hospital and doctors. The medical staff is sub par, but treated as royalty. The Hospital is old, dirty and the equipment is very outdated. They time off policy is a joke. They don't even offer bereavement, you have to use your vacation. You can't even use the time off policy because they are so understaffed.You are constantly expected to stay many hours over your shift with no extra compensation. I do have a family and struggle to find a sitter who will watch my children 16 hours a day. Can't afford an in home nanny. I don't work in management.
There is little communication from management .Policies are interpreted at the discretion of each department manager always to their benefit. Don't ever question a doctor, even if the outcome could be bad for the patient you will be fired. Employees are to bow down to every physcian because they bring in revenue. It's all about the mighty dollar. The new CEO has cut benefits and raises so he can make a name for himself by building a new hospital. Management knows they don't have to treat you fairly because there are many nursing schools in the area, and plenty of new grads to take your job if you quit or get fired. The morale is so low and everyone is constantly complaining. With the tight job market they have no choice. No compassion for employees or patients. Management doesn't know how to manage finances. Poorly run and always in the red. I would not go there for medical treatment of any kind even though I work there.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as human beings! If you build a new facility at the expense of your employees you have built nothing. Your employees make it what it is.

Other Employee Reviews for Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

"Good care for patients."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH

Pros

Good relationship with coworkers. Staff truely cares about the patients. Family go to Genesis for healthcare. Administration wants to be the chosen healthcare for the community. Staff supports each other to a point.

Cons

Daily challenge and stress everyday, all day! No chance for advancement unless you happen to be one of the "favorites" of management. Stress between shifts, because each feel that they work harder than the others. Only get three sick days per year, but we are expected to care for those that are sick. Pay could be better, raises could be better. Those staff that have written warnings do not get raises, dispite the fact that they pick up extra shifts, stay over when needed, and come in early. Some charge nurses are more concerned with what they are doing and not the rest of the staff, and show favortism to other staff members.

Advice to Management

Senior nursing staff should come out of their offices and work the floor once in a while, so that they know what their staff is really going through. Management should consider not only the patients and the community when making decisions, but also their staff members. Because we are "customers" also. Many employees are leaving or looking for other areas of nursing, and management should ask themselves, why? Increase our pay, make us competitive not only with services offered but with other hospitals in reference to keeping employees.

2. "Family away from family, Even though I do not work directly w/ patients, my compassion is shown from within the kichen."

Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Zanesville, OH

Pros

Genesis offers alot of benefits, you earn PTO(Paid Time Off) that you can use for persnal use or have doc app.. You feel like you belong like the managements really values your abilities and accomplishments Also you can chose between 3 medical plans that best suits your needs. We live the Genesis mission and are proud to be chosen as one ogf the Top 100 hospitals. we have acheived alot.

Cons

Sometimes you may not get a day off for a week or more.

Advice to Management

I think that the management offers more feedback to their employees now than in years passed. Every milestone we develope or accomplish the management is having open forums, putting info in the connections. I am proud of what you all have accomplished.