Genomic Health - 8 out of 10 women will develop breast cancer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genomic Health

"8 out of 10 women will develop breast cancer"

Pros

My mother-in-law and the friend of my close friend have both used Genomic Health's Oncotype DX kit for breast cancer, and have used the test results to make informed treatment decisions in light of their diagnosis. It feels unreal that I was the one who recommended the test to them, knowing how their test results impacted their lives for the better. As an employee, I feel a direct connection between the work I do and those who I care about. This focus on patient health is pervasive throughout the company, and is a key contributor to a cooperative spirit throughout the organization.

Cons

The growing pains commonly experienced as a start-up gains size and momentum are beginning to surface. Certain departments are holding the company back by resisting the change. Other departments are resource-constrained and becoming bottlenecks.

Advice to Management

In a portfolio with limited resources, there is a limit to how much can be done. Clear priorities need to be established and communicated throughout the organization.

Other Employee Reviews for Genomic Health

1. "Customer Service Department Needs Work, But Wonderful People"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Genomic Health as a contractor

Pros

Co-workers are the best part about this job, individuals really care about giving customers the best experience possible, and there's plenty to do, so you'll rarely get bored. Management within Customer Service (CS) is very good, for the most part. CS is mostly comprised of young people, so there's a lot of energy in the department. Subsidized lunch - you can get a beautiful salad for cheap.

Cons

Near the end of the quarter, sometimes there's "mandatory" overtime (but usually meals are included those days). Disconnect between "upper management" and CS management - CS management seems to rarely get what they ask for. The department is very understaffed, which causes all sorts of wrist and hand problems for accessioners. There's a lot of turnover - you'll find CS is a stepping stone where everyone wants to either become a supervisor, change departments, or go back to school. It's surprisingly difficult to become a full-time employee from being a contract/temp. They will pick their already full-time employees in other jobs over temps the majority of the time, even though temps are trained almost identically to full-time. Not a good job for night/evening people - shifts run for 8.5 hours in between 5:30am-5pm, but if you're a morning person it's great!

Advice to Management

Value your temps! CS is about a lot more than just time to answer the phone and abandonment rate. Work on your social media presence, and beware of Guardant Health down the street trying to poach workers.

2. "Biggest Disappointment of my Career"

Former Employee - Regional Oncogenomic Liaison in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Oncogenomic Liaison in Tampa, FL

I worked at Genomic Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Test helps people navigate treatment for cancer.

Cons

The Standard of Care Test Oncotype DX for IBC is old. Over 10 years old in this industry makes it old technology and many more newer tests are now being embraced. I would never recommend this company to anyone and never recommend the test today in my job selling to medical oncologists. Most are using a newer test .

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the company culture and try to embrace everyone instead of only looking for people that are clones of one another. There is a lot of cruel horrific gossip and harming people. You shouldn't encourage gossip about people then gang up on them. Its a very unprofessional type of a setting, laid back but yet very much like robots in the home office.