Gentle Giant Studios - My experience at Gentle Giant studios was extremely counter productive. | Glassdoor
  1. "My experience at Gentle Giant studios was extremely counter productive."

Former Employee - Digital Sculptor in Burbank, CA

I worked at Gentle Giant Studios

Pros

I honestly can't think of any reasons to work a Gentle Giant other than to use it as a stepping stone to a better studio. Oh, and somehow, they manage to keep some extremely talented artists.

Cons

There are many downsides to working at Gentle Giant Studios. The management is completely unaware of the programs used to create work. Furthermore, the studio is really cheap. Most of my issues come from bad management though.

Advice to Management

I think the studio would benefit more if they actually used their senior artists as art directors instead of giving them grunt work. It would make a lot more sense if your being managed by someone who knows what they are talking about, instead of someone just guessing their way through and ultimately slowing you down with counter intuitive workflows.

Gentle Giant Studios2011-07-20

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Unique culture with artistic freedom"

Former Employee - Digital Sculptor in Burbank, CA

I worked at Gentle Giant Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can really write your own ticket at Gentle Giant Studios, there is certainly many opportunities if you are motivated. The company is small but growing quickly. The pay and benefits are actually pretty decent and management seems to know what they are doing, a fun place to work and a very creative environment with industry leading professionals.

Cons

It's tough to get hired since the marketplace is so competitive. There is not a lot of training, management will throw you in the water and see if you can swim. You need to be prepared from day one, there are strict deadlines on most of the work so sometimes it can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow artists to be creative and ask their input on projects. Keep the culture artistic as the company continues to grow.

Gentle Giant Studios2013-10-16

"Fantastically LOW wages"

Former Employee - 3D Digital Artist/Modeler in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gentle Giant Studios

Pros

Creative environment. Good, talented, enthusiastic, funny, weird, dark, colorful, hard working artists and sculptors.

Cons

Although I suspect that the "Above-The-Line" management and owners are quite happy with their income...it really comes from the "Below-The-Line" worker bees who are paid didley squat. Amazingly, the pay I received as a Union Sculptor in the Local 755 was $48.50 an hour. Gentle Giant (paid?) their sculptors on average...about $12.00 per hour. Not even a living wage.

Advice to Management

Share just a little bit more. It's O.K., don't be afraid. You can still go home with a nice chunk of change, even AFTER giving your artists better wages.

Gentle Giant Studios2016-04-12

Discover more reviews about Gentle Giant Studios.