Genworth - Excellent internship program | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Excellent internship program"

Current Intern - HS Intern in Richmond, VA
Current Intern - HS Intern in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Genworth as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, a chance to make an impact.

Cons

The work isn't always very interesting.

Advice to Management

Give interns more choice in assignment choices.

Other Employee Reviews for Genworth

"I left voluntarily...although not many people do..."

Former Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Genworth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Genworth soon after graduating college and entered their Leadership Development Program in IT. It gave me a great opportunity to try out different roles in IT and find out what I was most passionate about...and I also got the chance to live in different cities (and countries).

Cons

This company just seems doomed to fail. They re-orged recently, and while they gave the appearance of trying to find a new CIO for Insurance & Wealth Management, they ended up just sticking with the same guy. There are never enough people to do the work in IT...and developers are always stretched across multiple projects. For every full-time employee in a development/programming role, there are probably 20-30 offshore contractors. Problem is, there's a shortage of IT people in Richmond, and it is nearly impossible for Genworth to hire good talent considering their reputation in the area.

Advice to Management

You have so much work to do...

"Look Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Genworth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly nice co-workers. Easy commute. Easy work if you do not want to think.

Cons

Poorly run company with outdated and irrelevant process. Mid-level managers are not subject matter experts with poor training in managing people and projects. Very narrow minded organization who fears new ideas and improvements and who is intimidated by smart people who look to bring in ideas normal to best practices in other successful companies. Management seems to enjoy chaos, office politics and back stabbing. Definitely not a fit for those who want to work for a cutting edge company. Bureaucratic multi-layered approval process for making simple decisions. Company and mid-level managers to not empower employees to make decisions. Heavy emphasis on reporting and more reporting, meetings to have meetings etc. Results of above are poor earnings, company in decline and high turnover. Either join the group think or you will be odd man out.