Genworth - Recovering from a bad period, Genworth is making huge steps to improve the company and working environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Genworth

"Recovering from a bad period, Genworth is making huge steps to improve the company and working environment."

Current Intern - Operations in Lynchburg, VA
Current Intern - Operations in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Genworth as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly flexible, nice people, most employees have worked there for 5+ years, bankers hours, strong CEO, GREAT career development, room to move up and around, ethical, growing stronger, great company culture, company invests in the well being of their employees.

Cons

Lower level managers are very week, are not involved with the employees, do not invest in training. Huge quality gap between higher and lower management

Advice to Management

Get involved with your employees, train lower level managers to be approachable and involved with their employees (or fire them- despite 20+ years of working for you)

Other Employee Reviews for Genworth

1. "Good people, terrible management"

Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Genworth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good exam support for Actuarial students, on paper, and generous exam raises. Friendly, competent employees at the non-manager level. Generally a polite, respectful culture.

Cons

Management is in continual turmoil. In the last three years, two CEOs (and an interim), two division CEOs for insurance (and the position is currently vacant), and it gets worse further down.

Two decades of mismanagement and aggressive book-keeping means that every quarter is a scramble.

Advice to Management

Recognize the giant holes in the balance sheet and deal with them.

"Excellent benefits and easy place to work as long as your expectations remain low."

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Genworth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits with generous time off. Salary is competitive and appropriate for the amount of work output. Plenty of "cheerleading" activities attempting to improve employee morale in an environment where the threat of termination is constant and pervasive. Layoffs come in massive waves, so if you survive a round of layoffs, you can be pretty sure of being employed for the next 9 - 12 months.

Cons

From a general perspective and an IT perspective, the company is constantly re-inventing the wheel. Motto of Genworth, "If it ain't broke, BREAK it!". Not a lot of job security. If you work at Genworth with the understanding "nobody put a gun to your head to force you to work there", then you'll be fine (my approach for 8 years). If you work there with the expectation your hard work over and above that which is expected will be recognized or get you somewhere, you're at the wrong company. Massive layoffs come regularly every 9 – 12 months. Management regularly fires persons in critical roles (totally oblivious to the responsibilities of that person) and then spends triple the amount of money on contractors replacing that fired individual. Thinking of making a career at Genworth? I’ve worked with 4 individuals personally with 25 - 40+ years of service. I’ve seen those 4 persons given pink slips and walked out the door. For the most part, coworkers are pleasant but the atmosphere is filled with constant angst over always impending layoffs. Despite my seemingly negative comments, Genworth is really not too bad of a place to work as long as you maintain the attitude you could be let go at any minute and you don’t set your expectations within the company too high. I learned a lot professionally at Genworth which made finding my next job after Genworth easy.

Advice to Management

Lower and middle management are too isolated from decision-makers to truly impact outcomes. It’s been my observation there are too many lower management roles which could very easily be rolled up to middle managers. I would suggest outsourcing more management jobs to Indian contractors. Lose the "integrity first" slogan.