George Mason University - GMU is a good institution surrounded by unscrupulous and mendacious departments. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for George Mason University

"GMU is a good institution surrounded by unscrupulous and mendacious departments."

Former Employee - Staff Member in Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Staff Member in Fairfax, VA

I worked at George Mason University full-time

Pros

GMU is a great school situated in a really nice location. The campus is expanding and adding new services that will ultimately benefit students.

Cons

The department and division honors ineptness if you are in the inner circle. If you are in the inner circle and fail at your job, the division will just find another position for you to take. Anyone else would be out on the street.

Advice to Management

Be honest. You have people who care a lot about what they are doing. Feeding them lies to cover your backsides is not necessary. People will respect you for speaking your truth.

Other Employee Reviews for George Mason University

1. "Lacks mentoring and support for part-time faculty"

Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at George Mason University as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

some terrific colleagues and excellent facilities

Cons

management/administrators are out of touch - not supportive - seem to care more about their salaries as opposed to ensuring quality education for students

Advice to Management

Most of your faculty are part-time; invest more in them and you will get more from them and the students they teach

2. "Absolutely Amazing"

Current Contractor - Desk Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Contractor - Desk Assistant in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Great schedule flexibility for student workers. Professional staff and other student staff were absolutely amazing! They all worked well with each other and I was very satisfied with the position. I wish I would have extended my contract when I got the offer.

Cons

Some of the downsides were that you could be called to come in and work at any time, and you lost out on at least 1 of the holiday breaks, whether it be fall, winter, or spring break. This plus the students yelling and getting in your face. Other than this, there weren't any cons!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I worked in the Housing & Residence Life.