George Mason University - Love this place | Glassdoor

"Love this place"

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at George Mason University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice professors, Nice Students.

Cons

Sometimes grading needs a lot of work to finish.

Other Employee Reviews for George Mason University

1. "Great place to work in N VA"

Former Employee - Researcher in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Researcher in Fairfax, VA

I worked at George Mason University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good variety of opportunities for professionals. Great campus, cafetaria and campus activities.

Cons

Parking can be tough during the semesters. Summers are easier.

Advice to Management

Attract more industry investment. Mason is in the N VA tech zone yet doesn't have the greatest interaction with the industry around. Also look at creating a secure facility so as to get cleared projects funded like CMU & MIT get.

"Who says academia isn't a "good ol' boys" club, too?"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at George Mason University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Volgenau School of Engineering, so the building was brand new (although I could tell that they ran out of budget for painting partway through).

It's a college campus, so you can go out for a smoke or just walk through the forest and clear your mind. The network was BLAZING fast. Lastly, there was no need to worry about discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Cons

Unfortunately, I just did not get along with any of the professors for whom I was a GRA. One seemed like he only favored East Asians, and requests for assessments of my performance went ignored; I was simply let go at the last minute. The second professor was a robot with no personality or emotions. "You're not performing well because you've been diagnosed with MDD (major depressive disorder)? Well, that's your fault for not getting on the right medication sooner." Uh...okay boss.

In the summer, my office was as warm as Fargo, ND because I was the only one in there in a space with 6 cubes. Lack of body heat + lack of heat from desktop machines = brrr. I asked facilities multiple times to remedy this, only to have it return to sub-zero temperatures a couple days later.

Advice to Management

Your academic programs are great; however, professors need to learn basic HR skills.