Georgia Aquarium - Volunteer who has worked here since 5/2011 | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Georgia Aquarium

"Volunteer who has worked here since 5/2011"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Volunteer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and schedules (you work when you can/want)
Interesting positions
Enlightening information that you will learn and can pass on to guests
Fun and exciting environment

Cons

Volunteers do not always receive the perks that they should. Without volunteers the Aquarium would shut down.

Other Employee Reviews for Georgia Aquarium

1. "Guest Services"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia Aquarium full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is easy, The people are interesting, The pay is higher than minimum wage

Cons

You will be required to work outside in the cold and the heat. In the cold portable hater may not be functioning and management may not care to fix them. The is no room for advancement within the department. Hours fluctuation severely seasonally.

Advice to Management

Wake up and spend more time getting to know the people in the lowest positions. Senior management does not concern themselves with the affairs of the lowest workers and instead allows for middle management (directors, who are themselves out of the loop) to create an inaccurate but adequate reality. If senior management (VPs and higher) took the time out to role play in the lowest positions for two days out of the year, I assure you there would be list of sweeping changes that could greatly increase innovation, employee development, employee retention and overall efficiency.

2. "Fun and never boring"

Current Employee - Overnight Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Overnight Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Awesome team members who make every shift fun. Overnights are great...you show up on Sat night and leave Sunday morning getting paid for a full 17.5 hr shift (they even pay you while you get a few hours of sleep squeezed in). My bosses are energetic and make the time go by. They are vey understanding when something happens in our personal lives. We are truly a team.

Cons

I am a seasonal employee....so, that means no benefits for me :0( But, other than that....I can't complain much.

Advice to Management

Give new team members an email that lists suggested items to bring on their first shift. I had no idea how much I would want some water and lip balm! The salt in the air can wreak havoc. I just felt a bit lost on my first sleepover....everyone else had sleeping masks, earplugs, fuzzy blankies, air mattresses, reading book lights etc...