Georgia Department of Corrections - It's a job you'll never forget | Glassdoor

"It's a job you'll never forget"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer II in Forsyth, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Corrections full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm greatful for the experience. It's a job and learning experience. Uniforms provided. Chance of getting a new position 8

Cons

Not as organized as it should be. Unsafe environment. Needs better management of discipline. Inmates should not be able to move so freely. Management should be more respectful to all staff members no matter there ranking.

Advice to Management

One Team is the idea, Not the case. If you treat your CO's like inmates or like they don't matter. Why would they stay and do right. The turn over rate for CO's is going to continue if the upper level of staff continues to be closed minded. I understand and agree with having discipline but that also requires Respect.

Georgia Department of Corrections2016-11-26
  1. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Corrections Officer I in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia Department of Corrections full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits , Pay , Shifts

Cons

Unappreciated , favoritism , unprofessionalism, high turn over rate long hours .

Georgia Department of Corrections2019-05-01
  2. "Started fine, ended poorly."

Former Employee - Correctional Officer II

I worked at Georgia Department of Corrections full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Pay is ok for the work ($27k first 12 months, then $31k for correctional officers) -Good benefits -Great job security -Easy to get hired on -Good door into law enforcement career

Cons

-Poor management/administration. Workplace filled with negativity because of it. Morale was great when I started in 2017, but went down hill early 2018 and never got better. Administration put their input where it isn't needed. Most admin have never been in uniform and don't know what it is like to deal with inmates for over half a day, nearly every day. They enjoy making our jobs waayy harder than they need to be because...

Advice to Management

Things need to be ran better. Take care of your officers because they already take a lot of b.s. from prisoners and don't need double the amount from y'all. Do more things with your uniformed employees (INCLUDING NIGHT SHIFT) and show them you appreciate them. 12 hour shifts can be hard when dealing with inmates, and most administrators don't realize this. TAKE CARE OF YOUR PEOPLE. You wouldn't have so many vacancies...

Georgia Department of Corrections2019-06-19

Discover more reviews about Georgia Department of Corrections.