Georgia-Pacific - Great company with great values. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Georgia-Pacific

"Great company with great values."

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Palatka, FL
Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Palatka, FL

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company truly lives its values and pays a competitive salary. Benefits are great and the PTO is acceptable.

Cons

Time demanding. Frustrating dealing with unnecessary issues at times.

Advice to Management

Maintain your values in the face of opposition.

Other Employee Reviews for Georgia-Pacific

"Good company if you are at the right facility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I have been working at Georgia-Pacific full-time

Pros

Invest in new employees with training and base rate increases, peers are generally friendly and nice to work with. Lots of opportunity to advance within the company quickly.

Cons

Benefits are pretty middle of the road as far as medical. compensation can be low in comparison to other heavy industry. In recent years the location I worked at has shifted to a lot of short term thinking with much less focus on reliability and continuous improvement.

Advice to Management

Be sure to focus on talent retention including base rate increases and training. Also a shift toward long term investment and away from aggressive cost cutting in the interest of creating long term value

2. "Good experience, but not sustainable in the long term"

Former Employee - Buyer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience. Got to do a lot of things and learn about the pulp and paper industry and gain experience in MRO purchasing. GP was a great place to get "real world" experience and start my career...I will just be finishing my career at another company

Cons

If you don't want to be married to your job and sacrifice your personal life (I was on call 24/7 for one week a month) this isn't the place for you. It seemed like the purchasing group in the mills was the cleanup crew. When other groups would screw something up, they would simply figure out a way to dump it in our lap and let us figure it out while they go home at 4 every afternoon. Unless you have a great passion for trees this probably isn't a long-term place for you.

Advice to Management

Work on culture in the mills. I worked in Atlanta and multiple facilities. In ATL they work on MBM and try to hold everyone accountable for their actions, at the mills, however, they don't even know what MBM stands for. Also, work on the workload distribution. At the mills I could work 24 hours a day and still be behind while Atlanta folks worked 9-5 and never afterhours.