Georgia Ports Authority - Life at the port | Glassdoor

"Life at the port"

Current Employee - Container Ops in Savannah, GA
Current Employee - Container Ops in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Georgia Ports Authority full-time

Pros

Good pay most of the worker are good desent people. It's a good job if you aren't a hot tempered person.

Cons

Getting off for an unforseen personal situation is next to impossible even if you have vacation time, your given 40 hours a year for sick time, but beware if you get sick. You will go before a manager and be written up for missing just one sick day. I saw a man that has worked at the port for 4 years and never missed a day of work got sick for one day was written up. THATS RIDICULOUS, the managment needs to use a little common sense, something lacking on their part in many situations at the port.

The training at the port is less to be desired. It needs to be really overhauled, your trained on equipment by several different people and alot of times it is so busy the trainer doesn't have time to train you properly. And some of them don't want to train you, you'll get the basic training and then thrown to the wolves.

Some dispatchers in the control center talk to the people in the field like dogs, I've never worked any place that would allow people to be humilated on a daily basis. Not all are like this, but half of them are hatefull individuals. It's hard to tolerate on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Treat the people that work for you with some respect. You don't know who I am but I am former Managment for a company and the recession is how I ended up at the port. If you in Managment would show some respect and treat your workers as you would want to be treated, I think you'd see a huge difference in the work at the port. It's ok to tell people thanks for a good days work or that you are appreciate them.

Other Employee Reviews for Georgia Ports Authority

"Very disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Pros

Very stable, decent wages & benefits

Cons

Grossly outdated & cumbersome systems, lots of management but little leadership, resistance to change & innovation, little diversity, rampant nepotism, directors live in ivory tower & have little regard for employees.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, ears & minds. Do something to inspire loyalty rather than relying on a dismal job market to keep employees trapped.

2. "Great Learning Experience"

I worked at Georgia Ports Authority full-time

Pros

Management involved in your learning, plenty of unique learning experiences, will meet lots of people involved in the industry

Cons

Pay is a bit lacking relative to other internship opportunities