Georgia State University - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Research Scientist I in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Research Scientist I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Georgia State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit! Less pressure for work.

Cons

Low salary. Not safe in the late night.

Other Employee Reviews for Georgia State University

"layoffs layoffs layoffs for IT Professionals keep looking."

Former Employee - Applications Developer Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer Lead in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Decent benefits. Great restaurants in walking distance.

Cons

There are not a lot of admin staff reviews so I hope this will help. The IT department at GSU is now in bad shape. Due to retirements and people quitting the work load has shifted to the remaining staff. It became a brutal place to work. I see some other reviews stating the same thing so it seems I was not alone in my observations. I found it funny reading the other two reviews on this site about the ticket system. Its very true and is really a hindrance to getting anything done. What was not mentioned was how time was monitored. GSU's IT staff is very micromanaged. For example at the end of every week employees must submit a time sheet totaling the hours worked in the week. Yes salaried employees must submit time sheets and one must enter in how much time they spent on each project during the day to total 40 hours during the week. For example, had a meeting it had to go on the time sheet, need to read some documentation then they wanted to know how many hours you spent.

I was laid-off. There is a story about it in the local news paper the ajc " Georgia State University has eliminated 110 positions to save about $4 million."

Nevertheless, I actually feel like a burden has been lifted off of me and I can move forward. I feel like I wasted time working in the IT department at GSU. I didn't gain any IT skill due to the work load. All I had time to do was know enough to fix problems quick. On a positive note I now know what I want to do with my career and gained some knowledge on how to avoid a bad company.

Advice to Management

Now that half of the GSU IT department has been laid-off, retired, fired, or quit. Maybe just maybe senior leadership will fire the directors and managers that think they are safe.

"Great job"

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Georgia State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to help pay for school.

Cons

Compensation was not as much as it should be based on the responsibilities.